Chapter Five Closer

A couple of days have passed since Zero has saved you from the wolves and you two have been getting along great. Zero is still cold but he is slowly warming up to you. You have caught him laughing lightly at the little things you do. He secretly thinks you are cute.

He makes sure to always be by your side so you don't get yourself into trouble. He wants to protect you from everyone and everything.

"Hey, Zero?" You called out to him.

You both are sitting in the dining room, eating fresh fish.

"Yeah?"

"What's your favorite food?" You asked curiously.

"Vegetable soup."

"Vegetable soup?" You blinked.

"Yeah, that's my favorite," he whispered.

"I see."

You thought that maybe you should cook for him one day since he always cooks for you.

You continued to eat but Zero's tattoo on his neck began to glow red. He grunted and took a deep breath before the tattoo turned back to normal.

Zero has been avoiding drinking your blood and you were happy since he is considering your feelings but you feel bad because you know he needs it. You figured that is one of the reasons why he saved you from the village because he needs to drink some of your blood yet he refuses to do it.

"Zero?"

"I'm fine..."

"Okay..." You hung your head.

You and Zero finished your meals and went into your guest room. You sat on the couch while he sat next to you.

"Hey, Zero? Would it be okay if I write to my father? I want to make sure he is okay..." You bit your lip, afraid to hear his answer.

"Sure, I can mail it out tomorrow morning," he whispered.

"Thank you so much!" You wrapped your arms around him while he just sat there. Zero is still uncomfortable when you throw yourself on him all of the time but he secretly likes it. You wished he would admit it out loud, though.

"Are you always this shy?" You questioned teasingly.

"No..."

"Sure," you smirked before asking him another question. "Did you ever have a girlfriend?" You are curious to hear his answer because he doesn't show any emotions when it comes to romance.

"Yeah, but a vampire took her from me," he sighed.

"Wait, what?"

"It was a couple of years ago when I met Yuki. She was a human girl and I promised to protect her life yet she always desired someone else. I was in love with her even though I know she wanted him..." He closed his eyes and inhaled.

"Who couldn't love you? You are everything a girl would dream about!" You shouted in excitement.

He stared at you dumbfound and you can tell he doesn't believe your words yet you don't understand why...

"Seriously, Zero... You are strong and protective... Yeah, you are cold but you are very gentle plus you are handsome."

You saw a dust of pink tickling his cheeks.

"Then what happened?" You finally asked.

"The guy she desired was named Kaname and he was the leader of all pureblooded vampires. He wanted her so he tried to take her away from me. I, at first, stopped him from getting his hands on her until Yuki pleaded for me to let her go because she loved him..." He paused and averted his gaze. You can tell he is very upset.

"So, you let her go?" You frowned.

"Yeah, what else was I supposed to do," he mumbled.

"I'm sorry, Zero," you whispered.

"It's nothing to pity about..."

You rested your head on his shoulder and he sat perfectly still while your heart is pounding like a drum. It's hard to keep calm when your mind and heart is racing all the time for Zero...

"She's stupid," you commented.

"What?"

"She's stupid for leaving you... She must be blind." You giggled softly.

You looked up to see Zero smirking from your innocent comment. You then caught yourself smiling because you made Zero feel a little better.

"You're different, (Your Name)."

"I know, silly," you grinned.

You sat up straight but you couldn't take your eyes off of Zero's. His lilac orbs are to die for...

Zero caressed your cheek gently before leaning in, brushing his lips against your own.

"Zero," you said his name softly.

He kissed you again but more passionate this time. You never kissed a guy before yet you didn't care. You want Zero to kiss you... Have you fallen for the vampire hunter?

You wrapped your arms around his neck to deepen the kiss and you naturally fell back on the couch while he is hovering over you. You kept kissing him over and over again until he finally pulled away but your eyes locked with his and you both couldn't believe you just kissed each other...

"I have to go," he mumbled before he stood up to leave you.

"Zero, wait!" You called out to him but it was too late... He is already gone.

You touched your lips with your fingertips; a smile forming across your lips and your heart is beating softly. Zero has kissed you but you wished he didn't stop.