On the Road

We didn't stop, for food or for clothes. We just drove down toward the bridge that connected the Keys to South Florida. We- I needed to find Zoey, to ask her the questions that I couldn't think of the moment she told me the truth. I needed to know why she lied to us all these time. Why she never attemted to tell anyone of us the truth.

We were now cruzing down the interstate on the edge of south florida, near the everglades it had been almost to hours sinse we left the hospital and headed South. Most kids may wonder how we have so much lee-way with our parents. How they never ask where we are what we are doing. Honestly, I don't know. Maye our parents just got tired of asking and not getting the truth.

I looked over at Clay in the drivers seat, his hands were clenched around the wheel, eyes focused on te road ahead. Lord only knows what was on his mind.

My eyes sailed over to the rear view mirror where I stared at Zada and Joel. There back were turned away from each other. Joel soalfully stared out of the window staring at every passing car; he was probaly memorizing their number plates. Zada was filing her nails while watching the horizon in front of us.

The silence in the car was defeaning and I honestly didn't like it. Hopefully in an hour a two Clay is going to stop for us to have dinner and maybe we could all have a conversation for dinner. And we could make a plan to find Zoey.

Just then my phone rang loudly, so loudly it starlted everyone in the car. I swipped it up from my pocket and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Zana? Where the hell are you?" a concerned voice rings through the phone.

Mother?

"Mom? What's up? Why are you calling me? You never call."

By now everyone was tuned in on our conversation, I should be embarrassed but I was to busy trying to figure out why my mother calling me.

"I know Zana bae, but I realize I have to change that. So where are you?" she pleads.

Shocked because I never heard my mom speak in such a pleading, heartbreaking tone I could hardly answer her.

"Hello? Zana?" my mother calls over the phone.

"Yes. Mom I'm out with some friends. Clearing my head, I'll be home by tomorrow."

She was quiet for just a second before she answered me.

"Fine Zana, come home beofre three?" she sighs.

"Thanks mom," I cher "Love ya by."

Quickly I hanged up because I didn't want her to have a chance to protest my answer or give me some other ulternative.

Clay eyed me through his mirror, I watched him to the side. And so e stayed until he brought the car to a stop in a resturants parking lot.

Joel and Zada immediately open their doors to strech their feet, I was about to pull the handle for me to get out of the front seat, but a firm familiar grip on my forhand stoppeed me.

"Wait, before you get out I have a confesion to make," Clay whispers huskily under his breath,

I turned away from the door and looked at him, focusing only on his distracting eyes.

"Wh-at is it?" I ask voice craking just a little bit.

He smirked cheerfully.

"I have a lot money, well my father is the one that's loaded."

I shrruged, pressing my lips together and shaking my head from side to side.

"That's it?" I ask almost about to laugh also.