SATURDAY 18:34

Chris is already waiting for me when I get to the park

Chris is already waiting for me when I get to the park. He's got his hood up, and his hands are pushed deep into the pockets of his dark jeans. "Hey," he says.

"Hi. You okay?"

It's barely even been a second, and it's already getting awkward. I'm trying to get some eye contact, but Chris is keeping his head down. How are we going to talk about anything if his gaze stays glued to the ground?

I have to try, at least. "So..."

He finally lifts his head. His eyes are tired, and a bit red as if he's been rubbing them too much. Maybe he has allergies; maybe he's been crying. "You wanted to talk."

"Yeah," I say. "You've been ignoring me."

He nods in agreement. "I have."

"Because of last Friday?"

"You left before I woke up, so I just assumed you regretted it," he says. "But that's not the reason."

"Why, then? Is it because of Iben?"

"No?"

"I heard you're seeing her again, so I thought you might–"

There's a hint of a smile at the corner of his mouth. "Are you jealous?"

"No."

"Sjalu..." he teases, the smile playing on his lips growing wider.

I cross my arms around me, frowning at him. "I'm not."

His smile fades, and suddenly he's got a serious expression on his face. "Iben is good at maths."

"Good at maths?"

"Yeah."

All I can hear in my mind is what he told me that time at Kaffebrenneriet. That he thinks intelligence is attractive. Apparently, he likes his girls a bit brainy. I feel cold. "And?"

"I needed help. I was this close to failing," he says, holding up his thumb and index finger.

My eyes follow his hand as it drops to his side. "Failing?"

"Yeah. I needed to focus on a test I had to retake yesterday, and I knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate on studying if I was texting you."

His words hit me right in the stomach. I feel bad. Is he really turning this around? Have I been in the wrong? "Oh."

Chris shuffles his feet. He leans his head forward, rubbing the back of his neck. Have I actually just discovered his nervous habits? I can't believe it. Penetrator Chris gets nervous! Who would have thought?

"Soo... That's why I've been ignoring you."

I'd like to believe him, but I can't tell if it's bullshit or not. Is he playing me to make me feel bad? Is he actually failing maths? Am I a horrible person if I accuse him of lying? I'm so torn.

Hurt him before he hurts you.

"How did the test go?"

"It went okay. Drinking to forget about it tonight. Gonna get paralytic."

Does he have any other hobbies besides drinking and hooking up with people? Doesn't seem like it.

"Are your parents okay with you having parties every weekend?"

"No, I'm not hosting tonight."

"Right."

Our conversation has hit the most awkward point. I didn't think it would be possible. The silence hovers like a big, dark cloud. It's unbearable; the tension is enough to create thunder and lightning between us. Say something. Anything.

"You're going, right?"

I almost snort at his suggestion. "No."

"It's fine, you're invited. You can be my plus one."

"I'm not going."

Chris laughs quietly. He looks at me, and I immediately know he's up to no good. "No need to beg. God, Eva, you're so keen!"

"Whatever, Chris."

"Come with me."

"No. I hate parties."

"You're scared of ending up in my bed again?"

"Delete yourself. Deactivate your life. I'm going home. See you at school." I start walking away.

"You're a party girl, Eva! I know you are."

I shake my head at him. "Not anymore. Have fun getting drunk tonight! Don't forget to use protection."

Do we feel bad for Chris? Is he really failing maths or is it a cover up for a side thing with Iben?

Eva is gonna run home to learn all the maths, come back as the brainiest gal on the planet and Chris will be so impressed his brain will fall out.

xoxo Lauren, secret member of kosegruppa