“So this was your idea.” Michael folded his hands, cynically smirking at his mother. “I didn't think you'd care that much since I couldn't even get in contact with you for your own birthday.”

“Don't start that bullshit Mike.” Jackie warned. “We're doing this for you.”

“I don't need any of your help.” Michael said. “I'm doing just fine. I don't need to speak to anybody at the Hall.”

Silence set in over the room as his siblings all seemed to look to their mother to make Michael agree with them. Katherine was focused completely on Michael.

“Michael-”

Loud footsteps came zooming down the stairs and soon after, Jermaine walked into the living room.

“What's going on?” Jermaine asked. His eyes darted between Michael and his other siblings.

Katherine clamped her mouth shut, holding the silence.

“Is nobody gonna answer me?”

“We're trying to get Mike to see a spiritual advisor.” Rebbie confessed.

Jermaine frowned. “What for?”

Rebbie huffed, as if the reason was obvious. “To help him with his problem-”

“I don't have a problem.” Michael shot back.

Jermaine shook his head. “Would y'all leave the man alone? If he say he don't have a problem, he don't have one.”

Michael pulled back in surprise, his confused eyes focused on his older brother. “...Thank you.”

Jermaine nodded at Michael.

Jackie started again. “Jermaine, you saw how he was-”

“Well if he don't wanna go you can't make him.” Jermaine shrugged. “Leave Mike alone. Should be ashamed of y’allselves--ganging up on this man like this.”

Katherine dropped her head in shame.

Jermaine narrowed his eyes. “Mother, please don’t even start that.”

Michael knew exactly what Jermaine was talking about too. He stood up before it could go any further.

“Well if that's all y’all wanted, I'm just gonna leave.”

Michael paused, gazing upon Jermaine. He didn’t quite understand it, but he felt a unity that’d been missing since his adolescence.

Michael abruptly broke their eye contact and hurried out of the front door, ridding himself of the judgement of his loved ones.

June 5th, 2000

Michael jumped straight up off the bed at the sound of the telephone ringing--nearly waking his wife.

He glanced at the digital alarm clock, waiting a moment for his eyes to focus: 3:33AM.

Shit. Who the hell is calling at this hour?

Michael slid back down in the bed, reaching over for the cordless phone.

“Hello?” He whispered in a groggy sleep-voice, closing his eyes.

“Mr. Jackson?”

Michael rolled his closed eyes. “Gavin? What are you doing, man? Shouldn’t you be sleeping? It’s 3AM.”

“I can’t sleep.”

Michael yawned. “Aw man, why?”

“I’m mad.” Gavin said, nearly snivelling.