Chapter 13

Hasnain's POV

My laptop was in front of me. I was waiting for the call to connect. I breathed a sigh of relief when Aminah's face came on to the screen.

She smiled but avoided eye contact with the screen and said,

"Assalaamu alaikum bros." What had happened to my sister? She was usually so bubbly and cheery. She was looking down. Bhai spoke up,

"Ami, what's wrong?"

"It's stupid. I know, but I'm scared. Bhai, Hassan I'm really scared." My sister's voice was shaking. I wished I was there. What could possible make my sister this worried?

"Yesterday, I went for a run in the evening. And I know that you tell me not to go out when it's dark. But I always do and I didn't think today was going to be any different. But I was going along and... I saw two men. I didn't really think anything of it, but I was going towards them. And well one of them grabbed my arm. And they started saying stuff...." She continued speaking but I wasn't listening.

- Start flashback -

"She's my sister, you prick." I smirked. This guy was funny. What exactly did he think he could do to me? I pushed him away and began walking. He followed me and stood in front of me. I saw his fist coming and I moved out to the way.

I grabbed his jumper and pulled his face next to mine and spoke,

"I own your sister. I click my fingers and she comes running." For emphasis, I lifted my own fist and bought my hand down on his face. I felt the warm sensation of blood on my hand and let go of him. He dropped to the floor. I stepped away and knelt on the ground next to him.

"And just to let you know, she's very good in bed." I stood up and looked at him. The kid looked about 12. What was I doing?

- End flashback -

How could I do that? I closed my eyes and did dua, please Allah Ta'ala. You are the Most Merciful. I was the one deserving of punishment, not my sister. I felt rage at whoever they were but at the same time I felt the guilt build up on me. How many people had I wronged? Did I even have any right to be mad?

But I was.

I wanted to break them apart. My sister was so innocent and naive. How many girl's innocence did you take whispered the voice in my head. I shook my head and looked at my sister. Just as I was about to speak, Bhai spoke.

"Aminah, what those men did you is despicable. And if I ever see them, I will make sure that they will know that. None of this is your fault. Not in any way. Remember that. I'm going to come see you. Just stay inside Ami please. I love you. "

"Bhai, you don't have to do that. You have work."

"You're my sister. Work means nothing to me." Another pang of guilt hit me. I knew firsthand how true that was. My brother had got fired from his job just so he could come and save me. How pathetic was I? Aminah smiled,

"Bhai, honestly, I just wanted to tell you because I got scared. I was lucky, if that driver hadn't got out of his car and stopped them..." She shuddered,

"I just wanted to talk to you guys because I've never been that scared in my life. I thought that..I just was.."

Bhai started speaking again and for some reason I felt like what Bhai was saying was somehow directed at me. Every insult he threw at them was something someone had thought of me. How could I have been like that? Hannah was right. My family had just glazed over my mistakes when really I had never had to face the consequences.