Chapter 25

Hasnain's POV

I had booked my ticket to fly home since my dad had had their heart attack. They had recovered very well and I wasn't going alone.

Bhai Hassan and Paavi Hajrah walked over to me, Quasim trailing behind them. His eyes lit up when he saw me and he ran to me. "Where's Ami?" Hassan looked at his watch.

"Gee, thanks bro. What about me? Don't I get a greeting?" He glared at me and I shut up. Hajrah rolled her eyes at us.

"Assalaamu alaikum Hasnain. How are you?"

Eventually Aminah arrived and we boarded the plane. It was a long journey and Quasim got restless which did not help things. We managed to get him to sit still by putting on The Jungle Book. I got more nervous as the journey continued. Seeing my dad always made me feel uncomfortable, especially after everything that happened. I knew my dad cared about me, but he was all about the tough love. 

Being back on Canadian soil felt so good. There was nothing better than being at home again. I missed it so much. My cousin, Ismaeel, had come to pick us up and we spent the journey catching up. Whenever I came back to Canada, it really emphasised to me how lonely I was back in Oxford. We reached home quicker than I would have liked. My dad had given my cousin a key and he unlocked the door for us. I was knackered and threw myself on the sofa. I heard the front door unlock not long after. Bhai kicked me and hissed. Dad's home. I leaped up and smoothed my shirt. My dad walked down and I kept my head locked on to the floor until my dad said my name. I looked up and greeted my dad. My dad told us to sit and I sat back down and my brother sat besides me.

My dad turned to look at Bhai,

"So, have you met this Amrah then?" I gulped. I had really hoped this conversation wouldn't come up. My brother glanced at me and replied slowly,

"No I haven't, but Ami has." My dad turned to look at Ami. I could see Ami throw Bhai a scowl.

"Yes, I have met her. She's really nice." My dad turned to look at me again and my heart started beating so fast.

"Is there anything you want to tell me? About this marriage?" I was confused,

"I don't understand."

"Why do you want to marry now? Why this particular girl? Why so suddenly? Just why?" I winced as my dad's voice grew increasingly higher. I knew what my father was getting at. He thought I did something with her. I remained silent; I didn't know what to say. My dad would never ever be able to get over what I did. Not that I could blame them. But it hurt. Bhai spoke,

"Dad, don't you think we should trust Hasnain? Not assume things."

"I'm all out of trust." My dad was shouting now. I kept my head down but I didn't say anything. I felt the worse. I knew this would happen.

"Dad, I don't think this is right to accuse Hasnain of things I am sure he has not done." Anger flared in my dads eye and he was trying to suppress his rage I could see. I really wanted to leave, but I couldn't. I nudged my brother and he understood what I was getting at.

"Has, why don't you go upstairs? I want to talk to dad." Inwardly, I let out a sigh of relief as I walked away and mouthed a thank you to my brother. Ami and my cousin followed me out.

The three of us were sitting in my room sat in silence. I sighed deeply,

"If I had known, dad would make this big of a issue out of this, then I would never have bought it up."

Ismaeel put his hand on my shoulder,

"No, uncle is just over reacting. What you did is the right thing to do."