Chapter 12

Hasnain's POV

I woke up in the morning and I wasn't feeling good. At least there were no lectures today, I didn't want to get out of bed today. I looked at the alarm when sudden realisation came over to me.

I had missed Fajr.

No, I pulled the duvet go back. How could I do that? My head started to hurt. I had missed Fajr, how could I do that? Please, no. I couldn't go back to my old ways. I refused to. But I heard the tempting voice in my head. I wasn't going to let my demons come back again.

Hannah was not going to do that to me. Evie and I had scheduled to meet up to go over some notes. I prayed Qazah Salaah and got ready to go meet her. I was about to leave when I noticed my sister was calling me. I quickly texted Evie to say I might be late.

"Has, I need to tell you something," my sister's voice was quiet. Something was wrong.

"Ami, what's wrong?" She was silent and I could hear sounds of faint crying.

"Ami, tell me please. Talk to me. What's wrong? Why are you crying? Please don't cry." Her voice came out broken,

"You have to promise that you won't ever blame me."

"Of course I would never blame you. Ami, please tell me," I begged her. I couldn't bear to see my sister like this. Ami breathe loudly,

"Promise you won't tell dad." I was getting really worried now, but I promised.

"Are you busy later? I want to Skype you."

"Yes, I am. Any time. Ami, you can tell me now. You don't have to wait."

"No I want to. It's not a big thing but I just want to tell someone. Assalaamu alaikum bro," she ended the call.

I didn't know what to think. My head was creating all these scenarios. I wanted to call her back but I knew she was stubborn. I guess I just had to wait. There was nothing else I could do.

The whole time I was with Evie, I just couldn't get it out of my head. Evie kept asking me what was wrong but I didn't say much. I just really wanted to go home, but I couldn't. I had promised Amrah that I would introduce her to the doctor I knew.

The sun had set by the time we walked up to the front of the house. I had managed to contact one of the people I knew that could maybe help Amrah with her work experience.

"What did you tell your parents this time then?" She looked at me with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"I really doubt you told your parents that you came out with me. So what did you tell them?" She shrugged her shoulders,

"I didn't lie to them before you jump to conclusions. I told them that I was going to a meeting with a work experience supervisor." I didn't say anything. We weren't doing anything wrong. At least that's what I had managed to convince myself.

Amrah's POV

I woke up in the morning with a sore throat. I groaned, I knew I was going to be ill in a few days time. I really couldn't afford to be ill. I had mocks next week. And if I didn't revise, I was guaranteed to fail. I went downstairs and started complaining to my mum about my throat.

"You're still going to school." Uthman laughed.

I glared at him and walked out. My family were so unsympathetic. But I was glad. Seeing Uthman was something I was thought I might never see again. I changed my clothes and put on my hijab before returning back downstairs. Uthman was sat there eating cereal.

"I made you toast and tea," My mum placed the plate in front of me.

"Yes," I exclaimed. I really hated having cereal in the cold weather.

"Hey, that's not fair. Why does she get hot food?" Uthman complained. My mum turned to him and spoke,

"She's ill, you're not." I stuck my tongue out at Uthman. I really was childish sometimes. I finished my breakfast and left the house. I put my headphones in as soon as I left the house. Walking along, I usually kept my head down. But for some reason, today I looked up.

I saw Ibrahim walking in front of me. He was too far away for him to be able to hear my footsteps, but I could see him very clearly. I don't know what made me call out his name, but I'm not really one to think before I act. As soon as I said his name, I regretted him and hoped that he wouldn't hear me.

But he turned around. Curse me and my loud mouth. I couldn't make out his face from this far, but I knew he was probably really confused. As I approached him, I saw he had one eyebrow raised.

"Since when did you want to talk to me?" I shrugged my shoulders, trying to act all nonchalant. Although I probably looked like an idiot....

"I guess I felt like it."

"Really? And this had nothing to do with my uncle and his idea?" What? I was confused. His uncle? What idea?

"You know what, forget it Amrah. How you been?" And you know how if I was a normal person, I would have questioned him on what he said. But obviously, I'm not normal and only think about things later and regret everything I say after. So I simply left it. We started talking about how our final year was going. The conversation would occasionally drop to a pause and an awkward silence would ensue. Our university was only a half-hour walk away but it felt much longer than that by the time we got there.

As we walked in through the main gates, we saw Rania standing there talking to someone. She noticed us and walked towards us,

"Did you guys walk in together?" I could see she was confused. Ibrahim looked at me. I guess he was waiting for me to answer.

"Yeah, we did." As soon as I replied, Ibrahim spoke,

"I better get to my lecture, I don't want to be late." Well, that was obviously an excuse. It was only 10:50. He still had 10 minutes left.

My lectures finished later than I had expected. Sometimes my lecturers did like to babble on and on. By the time I reached home, my cold had got worse. My eyes were watering and my nose kept running. I was never ill. Why was I ill? All I wanted to do was go to bed but I managed to force myself to do wudu and pray.

As soon as I had finished, I went to lie down. I tried every position but every time I moved my body to one side it still felt uncomfortable. I was hot and cold at the same time. I pulled the covers over my head. Ugh, I hated this!

Someone walked into my room. It was my mum. I looked up and my mum handed me a cup of something warm. I took a sip. It tasted disgusting. What was it with Pakistanis and concocting up some weird potion remedies?

"It will help, trust me," my mum told me. I slowly forced myself to drink it and thought about all the people who didn't have the luxury of having water to drink. My mum walked out. My head was not functioning properly.