Chapter 38: Don't Be.

“I’m so excited for this road trip, Sarah.” I say, packing the last essentials in my suitcase. “It’s gonna be so much fun!”

“I don’t even want to know what you two are going to get up to.” She states, scrolling through her phone instead of helping me. True friendship, right there.

“Hilarious.” I say in a monotone. “Anyway, what are you and Gordie gonna do over the weekend?”

She scoffs. “We’re going to complete our homework that we have been issued. I swear, you and Charlie are so lucky.”

“How?”

“Well, you’re starting fresh next semester, so you don’t get any homework.” She explains. “And Charlie doesn’t get any homework because he’s, well, ‘dropped out’ if you will.”

‘Oh yeah.”

“Duh.”

I roll my eyes at her as I throw a pillow at her head. “Bitch.”

“Hey!” She pouts, throwing my pillow back at me. However, her aim was incredibly awful, considering it missed me by at least five metres and knocking my lamp over.

“Great aim.” I mockingly applaud. “You should be a baseball player.”

“And you say I’m sarcastic.” She mumbles. “Anyway, how do you feel about Charlie going to France?”

And now, it was time to put on my tough-girl frontier.

“I’m happy for him.” I say. “It’s gonna be weird without him, but hey, it’s for the best.”

“Seriously?” She rolls her eyes. “Your asshole would be jealous of your mouth, because of all the shit that’s coming out of it.”

“Sarah!” I gasp. “Harsh, much?”

“I’m sorry, but I can tell you don’t want him to go.” She says.

“I’m genuinely happy for him.” I say. “I won’t have to put up with his forgetfulness, like leaving the surround sound on! And I won’t have to worry about his lack of knowledge of the washing machine. And I won’t have to deal with his lame Harry Potter references. And I won’t have to think twice if he’s blown out the candles. And I won’t have to put up with his loud music. And Sarah?”

“Yeah?”

“I really don’t want him to go.” I pout. “It sounds selfish and whatever, but it’s true.”

“Aw chummy!” She pouts, sliding over next to me and putting an arm around my shoulder. “Don’t be sad!”

“But I don’t want him to go!”

“I can do those things! I’ll leave the surround sound on and let you do the laundry, if it’s any consultation.”

I chuckle at her notion, however I dismiss it. “If you leave me to do your laundry, I swear to God-“

“I’ll do my own laundry, don’t worry.” She says. “I wouldn’t want you to wash my underwear. We’re close, but we’re not that close.”

“You are disgusting.” I say, shivering. “Now, let me pack before Charlie gets back from the post office.”

“You’re leaving tomorrow, you have plenty of time.” She groans, sitting on my desk as she boots up my laptop.

“Exactly.” I say. “Tomorrow.”

“What are you guys going to do anyway?” She asks. “Go for a lovely midnight walk in the woods?”