Chapter 23: Nightmares.

Sorry for the late update, explaination at the end xx

∞∞∞

We woke up the next morning at noon, and for a change I actually wanted to get out of bed. I didn't want to fall into an endless sleep where you dream about a different life, I wanted to wake up, I wanted to greet the day with a smile.

I roll over to my side, my smile breaking through as I see Charlie laying and staring at me already.

“Mornin'." Charlie's deep, raspy morning voice greets. This boy can make me so happy, even if it was a simple hello.

"Good morning!" I reply, in a happy tone.

But you know in movies how the girl always wakes up with perfect hair and a normal voice?

Nope.

My hair looked like a nest and my voice sounded manly.

Happy, but very, very manly.

"Nice hair." He jokes, sitting up and ruffling my bird’s nest of hair. His bare chest flexed as he arched his back inwards, trying to get comfortable against the headboard.

"Nice shirt." I retort, slipping out of the bed and walking to my suitcase. "What's the deal for the rest of the weekend?"

Charlie furrows his eyebrows, scrunching up his nose and his mouth. "Grab a bite to eat?"

I nod, shrugging my shoulders as I pull out a t-shirt and jeans. "I'll knock when I'm done." I say, pointing to the bathroom door.

He bites his lip, as if he wanted to say something, but instead he pulls out his own attire.

"Did you want to say something?" I ask, frowning as I lean against the door.

He shakes his head swiftly, a smile pressed along his face. "Don't worry."

"You sure?"

He nods, the same smile plastered as if it wouldn't be moving anytime soon.

I walk into the bathroom, getting changed in a simple white t-shirt and jeans, and pulling my ratty hair into a high bun.

"Good job forgetting a brush." I mutter to myself, resting a pair of sunglasses on my head.

I knock on the bathroom door, waiting for a reply from Charlie telling me that he isn't undressed.

"The coast is clear." He shouts, and I unlock said door, shaking my head as I walk into the huge hotel bedroom.

"'The coast is clear?'" I mock, chuckling mindlessly. "What are we, the next generation of spies?"

He shows me a toothy grin, as he pulls a black V-neck on. "Don't you ever want to be somebody different?"

His question stops me in my tracks. Yeah, it may have been a joke, but how did he know?

'Because of your constant nagging and whining.' My inner conscious says.

I was studying at Lonsdale College for all the wrong reasons. I was studying to become a law professor, but I don’t want to be that. My mum basically pushed me into doing the course, and I was sick of being second best to Paige. I wanted to study teaching, but not as a professor. More to kids in third world countries, or kids with disabilities.

Something different.

I want to make a healthy impact on the world, not to be a sheep to my family.

Then there’s my father, who I would die to see one last time. I hate that my last words to him were when I was sixteen. Sixteen years old. I missed him, not a day goes past that I don’t. He was like my saving grace from Paige, he knew all my secrets. Dad and I were close, so close that I told him about Paige and her name-calling. And I haven’t even told my mum that.