XVII : L

Present (1965); TulsaDaisy Parker:

Daisy Parker:

                         I stood up and pulled Dally into the kitchen. "Guys, this is Scout. Scout, this is Dallas and Johnny." I smiled.

"Well hi." Johnny smiled to the younger girl.

"Daisy, can I talk to you? Upstairs?" Dally asked me, already tugging me toward the stairs.

"We'll be back." I tell Scout and follow Dallas up to our room.

"Daisy, why is she here?" He asks.

"I came home and she basically broke in. I caught her and she had that look in her eyes, Dal. She looked like Johnny, that scared puppy dog look. So I cleaned her up and asked her about herself and got to know her." I explain.

Dallas wipes his face and sighs, "How long did you plan on keeping her here?"

"I didn't plan that far ahead, her parents abandoned her." I inform him.

"I don't like little kids. I don't like 'em.. I just, can't we call a girl's home?" Dallas asks me.

"We can't just put her into a girl's home, she wouldn't survive." I cross my arms.

"Then what do you plan on doing? This isn't an orphanage, Daisy." Dally says.

"What's that suppose to mean?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Are you seriously referring to Johnny as an orphan?" I ask him.

"That's not what I meant." He says firmly.

"Dallas, what did you see in our future?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Married, happy. I didn't really think about having kids." He sighed.

"What if I want kids?" I continue to ask.

"We always work shit out, Daisy! I figured we'd work it out when the time comes!" He raises his voice.

"You and I both know what it's like to be alone, to be unwanted. How about you go down there and tell a thirteen year old girl that she can't stay here and has to go live on the streets!" I raise my own voice.

"I know I can't save everyone, but I can at least save her!" I add.

"The only person that can save someone is them self!" He yells back.

"Then explain to me why you saved me, Dal!" I fought back.

The cold look was washed from Dally's face.

"Bet you never thought about that one, huh buddy?" I huff out.

I turned away from Dallas and looked out the window to see the sun starting to go down. I felt arms wrap around my waist.

"You saved me too." Dally's voice cut through the silence.

I leaned my head against his chest as I watched the sky change colors.