Chapter 27 - Fair Trade

Blythe POV

I woke slowly, wavering between that edge of sleep and awareness, an almost dreamy quality to my wandering thoughts. My body ached, and my muscles felt well-spent, but I slept better than I had in days. I burrowed into the pillow next to me, moaning when I inhaled the warm scent of amber. My thoughts stuttered to halt, and I jolted upright, holding the cool sheet to my bare chest. My BARE chest! I stared in shock at the "pillow" next to me. It was the living, breathing, warm, sexy body of a golden skinned, wavy haired, Italian god.

Luca sighed deeply in his sleep and rolled toward me, his dark curls in disarray. His hand began blindly sliding across the bed, patting the area where I had been sleeping just moments before. His eyes cracked open as he looked at the empty spot, a look of panic flashing through his dark, chocolate orbs. The sudden tension left his brow when his gaze came to rest on me, and a small smile crept to his lips, showcasing the delicious dimple in his left cheek. I grinned when I recalled how intimately acquainted I'd become with that dimple and with those tasty, supple lips.

"Why are you all the way over there?" Luca asked, his voice gravelly with sleep. A shiver ran down my spine, and heat pooled in my belly.

I stared at the man sharing the bed with me, unable to formulate a response. I was still overwhelmed at the events of the night before. Never in a million years had I felt so connected to another person, and I didn't know what to make of it. The look in Luca's eyes when he'd brought me to the heights of ecstasy had left me thoroughly confused. Was it possible that he felt even a fraction of what I felt for him?

"Come here," he murmured, drawing me once again from my straying mind. His hand reached across the space between us, gently grasping my hand and pulling me toward him. The sheet fell away as I found myself gliding across the mattress, now hovering over Luca's broad chest. He gently grasped my chin and pressed a soft kiss to my lips.

"Don't push me away," he begged. The hard set of his jaw surprised me, and I found my hand magnetically drawn to his face. I caressed his cheek, the stubble scratching my palm, as I gazed into his longing eyes.

"I'm not going anywhere," I murmured. We stared into each other's eyes, unmoving, with mere inches between us. It was like we were trapped by what we found there, in those windows to the soul. The depth of emotion in Luca's eyes left me raw, and just when I was ready to lose control and throw myself into his arms, his blasted cell phone rang. I swear that phone was cursed. It only brought bad news and it had terrible timing.
Luca's countenance was apologetic as he lifted the phone from the bedside table.

"Morelli," he answered curtly. He was obviously as irritated as I was at the interruption.

His posture stiffened, and I watched Luca's face transform. His once playful expression was now stormy, and his eyes had darkened with hatred. I smacked lightly on his arm, trying to get him to hold the phone so that I could lean closely to hear what was being said. Luca shook his head fiercely, but I growled in response and glared at him. Finally, he grunted and pulled the phone away from his ear, pressing a button and setting the cell phone on the side table once more.

A dark, evil laugh echoed through the room sending shudders through my body.

"Repeat what you just said," Luca ordered the person on the other end of the call. At the same time, he tucked me to his side and squeezed my hand in encouragement. I didn't understand his movement until the wicked voice replied.

"I said, if your precious little witness ever wants to see her sister again, she'll meet us to make a trade."

My eyes widened when I realized that I recognized the voice.