Chapter 22 - Hotel Burnham

Luca's POV

I glanced at the text once more, just to ensure we were in the right meeting place. When Natalie texted me to meet Marshal Greg Eastcott behind some rundown Chinese restaurant, I thought for a moment she was joking. Standing in the filthy alley, I couldn't help but return to those thoughts. Nervousness tightened my gut, and I wanted to pull Blythe tightly into my side.

When a dark SUV pulled down the backstreet, I felt my hackles rise. A tall, muscular man exited the vehicle, and he quickly pulled out his identification. I sighed in relief, realizing he was the Marshal that Natalie had sent to meet us.

"Four, eight, fifteen, sixteen, twenty-three, forty-two," the man muttered incredulously. "Seriously, man?" he asked, laughing at our code phrase.

I grinned. "What can I say? It works for us."

I held my hand to the Marshal and shook it firmly. He gestured to the waiting SUV, and I glanced to a wary Blythe, leaning against the wall of the adjacent building.

"Come on, kid. Our ride's here," I commanded, trying to keep all emotion from my voice.

I'd almost lost it when she began sobbing in my arms earlier. I was still in shock that she was so distressed over a dream regarding my death. I'm sure witnessing two deaths at Michael's hand, although one was imagined, was upsetting. I'd been on the verge of admitting that I would gladly die to save her when common sense kicked in. That comment would have only disturbed her even more. And as much as I wanted to surrender to the emotional upheaval currently battering me, I knew I needed to remain focused and professional. There was a reason we were instructed to maintain a professional distance from our charges. It could muddy one's judgment when situations became dire. But how did you handle it when you had already become emotionally attached to your witness before you realized who they were?

Eastcott opened the rear passenger door and waited as Blythe stepped into the waiting vehicle. I followed closely behind, a little perturbed at the distance she placed between us. As I situated myself in the car, I noticed two other Marshals present. They sat quietly, eyes constantly scanning our surroundings. Eastcott climbed into the driver's seat and put the car in gear. Once we were on the road, he broke the silence with a quick briefing of our movements.

"Wilson has some suitcases in the back with clothes for each of you. I'd recommend Miss Conners change into something more age-appropriate, at least." He smirked as he locked eyes with Blythe in the rear view mirror. "Marshal Toms is at Hotel Burnham. He's already checked everyone into our rooms and has searched to ensure the perimeter hasn't been breached. You two will be staying in the honeymoon suite, and we'll have the rooms on either side of you."

I noticed Blythe stiffen at the reminder. I reached across the gaping cavern between us and gently grasped her hand, only to have her rip it from my grip. I frowned, wondering why she was still so angry. Had I hurt her that much?

"We're going to drop you a few blocks from here so you can get into character. You'll take a cab to the hotel, and we'll be following closely behind you." Eastcott gestured to the Marshal in his passenger seat. "Burke will rendezvous with Toms to make sure the path is clear to the room. Wilson and I will follow at your six."

I nodded, anxiety building within me. I knew I wouldn't be able to calm my inner turmoil. It would only dissipate once I had Blythe safe within the walls of our hotel suite.

"Why don't you go ahead and change into something?" I suggested softly to Blythe.

"With all of you guys sitting here?!" she asked in disbelief.

"We won't look, Blythe, but you have to be ready to go the second we leave this vehicle."

She flinched at my authoritative tone, but I didn't have time to baby her at the moment. This entire exchange was serious, and we had to be ready. I realized that the likelihood of the Fitzgeralds locating us this quickly was minimal, but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

Blythe grimaced and turned to lean over the seat. Wilson had already unzipped the suitcase, so Blythe fumbled through the wardrobe, searching for something appropriate and easy to maneuver in the confined space. I could sense her movement, and I quickly heard the zip of her luggage closing. I forced my gaze to remain rigidly out the window, and after several long minutes, Blythe announced that she was decent. Turning to face her, my breath caught. She was only wearing a simple navy summer dress, but it hugged her curves, and I wanted to trace each one with my fingers.

"You look great," I muttered awkwardly, and Blythe blushed at the compliment.

Once Blythe was finished buckling a pair a flimsy sandals, Eastcott parked the SUV at the side of the road. I quickly exited the vehicle, pulling the suitcases behind me. By the time Blythe followed, I realized that Burke had already left to meet Toms at the hotel.  Wilson handed me a set of keys before he shut the door, and I began searching the street for a passing taxi.

We only had to wait around five minutes for an available cab to pull to the side of the road. I put our luggage in the trunk and seated myself next to Blythe. I could feel the tension emanating from her, so I took her hand gently in mine. When I noticed she was shivering, I moved my hand to tuck her into my side.

"Calm down," I whispered encouragingly. "I promise, everything will be okay." I placed a kiss on her forehead and heard a sigh escape her lips as she finally started to relax into my chest.

To say I was shocked when we arrived at the hotel would be an understatement. Natalie had told me that Hotel Burnham was a luxury hotel, but I hadn't expected this. The doormen out front of the tall building were dressed in dark uniforms with gold trim. One opened the door for us with a huge, hospitable grin on his face.

"Welcome to Hotel Burnham," he said warmly as he waited for us to enter the foyer.

The lobby had large murals painted on the walls, marble counters, and dark cherry wood furnishings with gold accents. It boasted a warm sitting area with decadent couches and a gorgeous stone fireplace. Everything screamed money. Even the stairs were impressive, with wrought-iron designs and marble walls and columns.

The floors were stunning. While the lobby had rich, rust and gold carpeting, the landings in the stairwells were decorated with plush gold and navy carpets, matching the typical navy and gold décor of the guestrooms.

When we reached our suite, I was amazed by the view. Large windows graced the corner of the room, giving us an outstanding view of downtown Chicago in two directions. There was a cozy, gold couch in front of a cherry wood coffee table. Behind it was sun-shaped mirror, and in the corner by one window was a sleekly carved, cherry desk. On the opposite wall was a fully stocked mini-bar.

Through a set of French doors lay the bedroom, the centerpiece of which was a grand king size bed. The entire color scheme was echoed in the deep navy and cream bedding with gold trim and accent pieces. A cream drapery hung sensually along the wall behind the bed, which faced two more large windows overlooking the city. A television rested upon a small cherry chest of drawers in the corner, the sight paling in comparison to the dramatic city skyline.

"This is beautiful," Blythe murmured at my side, and only then did I register that her hand was still tucked in mine. I turned to see the awe reflected on her face and wondered what it would be like to bring her to a hotel such as this for a true romantic getaway.

"Yes, it is," I whispered in response, staring at the gorgeous creature in front of me. Visions of her lush body, spread across the opulent bed, her dirty blonde waves spread over the luxurious pillows, filled my mind, and I had to suppress a groan.

As seemed to be the habit in the last couple of days, my cell phone rang, interrupting the moment, but this time I was thankful. As I pulled the phone from my pocket, Blythe excused herself to the parlor, closing the French doors behind her. I watched her settle into the golden couch as I answered the call, still pretending this was a romantic trip for two.