Chapter 30: Where We Stand

Elijah Storm's Point Of View:

I breathed in deeply as my fist collided with the punching bag in front of me over and over again causing loud thuds to echoe through the gym. My wounds weren't fully healed just yet but they were healed enough for me to go back to training, at least, that had been my argument against everyone when they said I needed to rest instead. I could hear Raine not far away gasping with every punch I threw but I knew Carol was probably just sitting with her feet up on the back of a chair texting. I grinned before throwing my next couple of punches, ignoring the pain searing threw my chest, and instead forcing my focus onto my breathing. I was sweating buckets at a time, but it felt good to be back in the gym after the vacation I'd basically put myself on. And my trainer, Marco, was happy to have me back and focused.

"Good, good. Your left hooks are a little more powerful then your right, work on that." Marco insisted tapping me on the shoulder before handing me a water bottle. I couldn't help but close my eyes as the cold water surrounded my tongue and clenched my thirst. "You're focused, I like that. Go rest up kid."

"You looked good out there Eli." Carol smiled as her and Raine made there way over, I nodded in appreciation. However, my eyes were glued to Raine who's gaze was on the floor instead of on me. We hadn't talked over the status of our relationship, so things were obnoxiously awkward  ever since I had came home a week and a half ago. She came over to my grandma's house everyday and played with Joey, sometimes when she stayed late I could convice her to cuddle up to me until I fell asleep, but we hadn't truly held a conversation besides her telling my I should't go back to the gym so soon or to take my medicine etc. She'd helped me pack up the clothes and things from my house to put in storage while I looked for a new one as well, but she talked more with Carol and I talked more with Jared during the whole ordeal. "He did huh Raine?"

"Yeah, is your chest okay and everything?" Raine grinned letting her gaze drift to my bare chest before meeting my eyes. I shook my head before taking another sip of water and allowing my mind to wonder we me and her stood. "Good, but I brought you pain killers just in case. I didn't want you to act all tough guy and hurt yourself."

"Thanks." I smiled taking them in my hand and watching Carol roll her eyes at us overdramatically before taking out her phone and typing something in. I knew she was texting Jared, he'd told me he and her agreed on being friends until they could talk more about their relationship, that way thing wouldn't be too awkward and weird when they were both around me at the same time. "How's Jared?"

"Good, he just asked if I could come over and talk. He wants to meet me at the ice cream place." Carol sighed tossing her phone into her bag and turning her attention to Raine. "You want me to bring you home?"

"I can take you home." I offered quickly before Raine could respond. Raine shrugged before hugging Carol good-bye and strunting off, keys jingling in her hands. I grinned at Raine, suddenly lost for words as she checked her phone nonchalantly. "I'll just take a quick shower and... then we can go."

*~*

"You hungry?" I asked as we climbed into my car and I started the engine. Raine shook her head but kept her gaze down into her cellphone as I pulled out of the gym packing lot, my muscles suddenly sore and my wound aching. I kept quiet though as I reached up and ran my fingers over the small amount of hair I had left, chuckling at how lost I had been that night. I looked over at Raine quickly, smiling as she wore her jacket over her tee, topping it off with shorts and converse. "Who ya texting?"

"Oh um, Levi. I think he's high or something but him and mom are fighting." She grinned sliding her phone into her pocket and turning her attention to the road in front of us. She was utterly silent as I took the necessary turns heading towards the old house. Nothing was there anymore but most of the old furniture we'd left behind, like my blood stained mattress and beer scented couch. I turned a few more times before heading into a different neighborhood, quietly observing everything around it. I was ready to move out of my grandmother's place, and soon I would. I knew it. I just needed to find the right cheap house and the right neighborhood. "So what are you looking for again? I mean, I know you told me but... I forgot."