Chapter 8: At A Cross Road

I sit in the hospital waiting room next to my brother but right across from my father. The events of friday night replaying through my head like a bad horror movie. He thought I was having sex with Elijah and at the moment all I wanted to do was shout at him for beating on me, threaten to tell my mother what was going on. But I don't, I instead sit in silence looking at my phone on the table. Breathing deeply and refusing to meet my father nor brothers gaze.

"You okay Raine?" Levi's voice filled the silent air but instead of replying to him I simply nodded my head.

"Speak when someone's talking to you." My father grouched. 

"Just leave her alone!" Leviticus responded to my father's grumpiness without me needing to say a word. My phone began to vibrate on the table in front of us and as my father's hand guided it's way towards it I snatched it up from him and made my way to the hallway. How dare he try and answer my cellphone, especially after the way he'd been treating me lately.

"Hello?" I managed to squeak out.  My hand was trembling as I held the phone to my ear, the number was unrecognizable making me afraid of who might just be on the other line.

"Raine? It's Carol, Elijah wanted to know if your going to church today." Carol's voice filled my ear like a bandage on my open wound. It was Sunday, of course I was going to church!

"Well of course, why?" I sighed into the reciever relieved it was her, the best thing about church on first Sundays is my dad never goes. He always claims it's because of work when really, it's because he goes out with his friends instead.

"Well, I don't know he just told me to ask you." She chuckled through the phone and I could hear in the background she was outside with little kids screaming.

"Raine, they said we can go ahead to mom's room now." Leviticus said coming up on the side of me. I told Carol good-bye and headed up to my mother's room with my brother and father. She seemed far smaller then she had seemed my last visit but her color was somewhat brighter and she was sitting up without much support.

"Look what I have here, a sight I hardly ever see. Not just my beautiful daughter but she's brought my dashing husband and handsome son along with her. A gift for first Sunday I suppose?" My mom smiled as I made my way across the room to stand at the side of her bed next to Levi, with my dad on the opposite side.

"How are you Mary, are you getting any better? How do you feel?" My father asked sounding genuinely worried.

"Im fine honey. Getting stronger every time I pray." She smiled holding my father's hand as he gave hers a light peck. I wonder if she would still be this sweet to him if she knew what he'd been doing to me lately.

"That's great mom, we really miss you at home, it feels so empty without you." Levticus smiled giving my mother a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Raine sweety what happened to your lip?" The sudden question startled me causing me to look up at her in fright. My father's glare was cold as if daring me to say something about it to my mother, but Leviticus' gaze was light as if he were afraid of what I might say.

"Some girls at school have been harassing her lately, something about a boy. What's his name... Elijah right?" My dad smiled fakely looking me dead in the eyes, he was challenging me.

"I wasn't asking you dear, I was asking Raine. Sweetheart is that true?" My mother asked looking at me. I took a deep breath considering my options, if I told her my father had beat me it would do no good. I would still have to go home with him.

"Yes ma'am, nothing serious. Like dad said last night at dinner, next time it happens we'll do more then just call you." I smiled staring my father in the eyes and I saw his jaw tighten up. It was a empty warning, but he didn't know that.