Letters From Home

Start from the beginning

       I quickly left to go to the prefects’ bathroom on the third floor. It took about twenty minutes to get to the bathroom because I had to stop by my dorm to get clothes to change into. Luckily, Lynx and Allistor were nowhere to be seen. I didn't feel like stopping to explain things to my nosy best friend right now.

       I ran a nice hot bath and lowered myself into the water feeling unusually apprehensive. I took a deep breath and pulled my head under the water with my eyes open. I could always see underwater, but now my vision was almost crystal clear. It wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty close. I held my breath until my lungs felt like they were about to explode. This is probably the stupidest idea I’ve ever had, I scolded myself mentally.

       I took a deep breath -- underwater -- and I didn’t drown. It was as if somehow my body pulled the oxygen out of the water when I inhaled and the rest was released back when I exhaled. It was amazing...and a little terrifying. The scale on my hand seemed to glow softly. I smiled under the water. It felt right and natural now. It was as welcoming as my bed back home.

       My hands and feet weren’t webbed, and scales didn’t sprout all over me. I felt my neck for gills. Nothing. I was perfectly human shaped, but I was breathing easily through my nose and doubted I would ever have to surface if I didn't want to.

       I jumped out of the water and levitated the huge plug out of the drain. I toweled my body off and threw on my clean robes. I was thrilled about what I had discovered and was eager to share it with Severus. Maybe it would ease the way he felt about the Merfolk.

       I tore down the dungeon corridors completely ignoring Peeves when he threw several candlesticks at me. I flung the door to the potions room open and stood panting, and dripping, in the doorframe. Severus’s face was priceless. He froze with his lips parted and a curious expression bordering on disbelieving.

       “Is everything alright?” he asked slowly, taking in my grinning form.

       “I can breathe underwater!” I shrieked coming the rest of the way into the room as if I owned it. I closed the door with a swish of my wand and walked to the front of the room. Severus sat back in his chair and adjusted his robes with an amused yet irritated expression.

       “Impervius,” he said flicking his wand in my direction. My hair and anywhere water had dripped onto my robes began to dry immediately. The water pooled itself on the floor, but with another flick of Severus's wand it vanished.

       “And I see really well underwater now,” I continued paying his wand-work no mind.

       “I suppose we should go see Dumbledore then,” he said standing tiredly. I picked this up and instantly became serious.

       “Long nights again?”

       “I’ve been busy,” was all he said as he strode out of the classroom without waiting to see if I was following.

       After the meeting with Dumbledore was over I followed Severus back to the potions room, and he set me to work grading the mound of papers on his desk that never seemed to get any smaller. I half thought all the papers that needed grading was part of the reason he insisted on making me serve detention. He was just too proud to admit it.

       A week after my discovery in the prefects’ bathroom a letter came for me during dinner. Odin dropped it on my plate, stole a piece of bread from Allistor, and flew away. I tore the letter open and pulled out a yellowing sheet of parchment with my mother’s large script across it.

                    Honey,

       I hope things at school are doing alright. We haven’t heard from you in a while. I hope you aren’t upset about Christmas still. I could tell you were a little disappointed whether you admit it or not. I am your mother after all. Your father sends his best wishes, and your sister says she loves you. Tell Lynx I said hello. And Honey, there’s no easy way to say this so I’ll just be forward about it. Your cousins and your aunt will be staying at the house for a while longer. We aren’t sure how long exactly, but we were hoping that you could maybe find somewhere else to stay for the summer too. I know it’s awful to kick you out of your own house, but I would be forever grateful.

                                                                        Love Always,

                                                                               Mom

       My heart constricted. I was really and truly being asked not to come home when school ended in a month. I started shaking and felt myself go pale. Did they not care about me? Did they not think of how I would feel? No. They never did. I’d find somewhere else to go, but as far as I’m concerned I don’t have parents. I swallowed and handed the letter to Lynx. Allistor read it over her shoulder which didn’t bother me any. Lynx’s mouth fell open, and Allistor shook his head.

       “I’d say you could stay at my place this summer, but my family and I are all going to Bosnia for some event,” Allistor said. He was really generous when it came to his friends and I knew that if I asked, his family would bring me with them to Bosnia. I refused to be a burden though; on him, Lynx or my parents.

       “Yeah, and you’re always welcome at my house. The only thing is that all of my relatives are coming for the summer and you know the size of my house. A few of my cousins and I will be sleeping on the floor as is,” she scowled. "And that's with magical expansion charms being used." They lived in a four bedroom house, but Lynx had a sister and two brothers; not to mention her parents. When family came to visit things got very cramped there. They had grown quite proficient at expansion charms, but there were still limits.

       I gave them both my best reassuring smile and shook my head.

       “It’s fine, I know a couple of people I could probably stay with,” I lied. “If I have to I’ll stay with one of my family’s friends for half the summer then go to another friend. I’ll be fine.” Allistor bought my story, but Lynx wasn’t convinced for a second.

       “Izzy, we can make room for you,” she said sincerely. I have the greatest friends ever...my family was a different story.

       “No Lynx,” I smiled again, “I don’t want to put your family out. Plus, I’d be a stranger to almost everyone and that would just make me uncomfortable.” She frowned but let it go.

       Soon I excused myself to our dorm so I could reply to my mother. I wrote her a very well scripted letter about how things at school were fine and I would have no problem finding somewhere else to stay for the summer if she would just transfer enough money into my vault.

       I sent Odin on his way and slumped down behind the owlery to cry. I had absolutely no idea where I was going to go or what I was going to do. I might be stuck on the streets for the entire summer for all I knew, but I had to keep a strong front. I was a descendant of Merlin. I could take care of myself. I no longer had the trace. I'd be fine.

       I heard footsteps approaching and tried to dry my tears before anyone saw me, but I wasn’t quite fast enough. I didn’t have to look up to know who it was. He wore black combat boots with a billowing black cloak and robes. Mentally I groaned. Why did it always have to be him?