Made Of Stone

Three years.

Three fucking years.

That's how long it had been since my father and I had exchanged parting words. I remember the day clearly. Cool air surrounded me as the dark figures grabbed him and slammed him into the police car. Nobody had told me what he had done. Nothing was ever mentioned. Mother came a few hours later to pick my brother and I up to go home. I learned that later in the week my father, Vincent Stone, was transported by the FBI to a maximum security prison far away.

"Alessandra Hail Stone, you get downstairs right now and pick up your clothes." I could hear my mother, Abigail, call to me. After the chore was done, I noticed my mother sitting in a chair with something in her hands. Slowly creeping closer I noticed it was a picture of my father. They had divorced when I was seven but she still worried about him from time to time.

"Why is dad in jail?" My voice sounded from behind her. She jumped a little not knowing I was there and I thought I saw a tear fall from her face.

"That is for your father to discuss with you." A sharp pain resided within the words and I pushed no further. I knew that no more information would be coming from my mother on the topic. Sighing I nodded and ran up stairs.

That was three years ago though and nobody in my house had spoken of it since. A taboo topic my family called it. Tapping my pencil against my desk, I listened carefully as Mrs. Foley explained how Vietnam started once again. Derek sat back in his chair and sighed loudly. I chuckled a little to myself as I thought about how boring things were. Everyday was the same damn thing. I went to school, came home, do homework, eat dinner, go to bed, and start over. Life sucked.

A knock on the classroom door interrupted the spree of notes Mrs. Foley was putting up on the smart board. Useless things and a waste of money, that's what those things were. Mrs. Foley was a small blonde woman in her mid thirties who loved history. Of course that is why she taught it.

Two very big guys in black suits walked into the room and passed the small blonde woman. The class seemed to be entranced. Nothing like this ever happened in our small town.

"Excuse me, can I help you?" Mrs. Foley asked, crossing her arms and tapping her foot like she often did when she was angry at a student for being late. The two men glared at her and scanned the classroom quickly. One stopped on me and stared me down. I, however, was not phased.

"We are looking for Alessandra Stone. She needs to come with us immediately. This has to do with her father." The taller of the two stated, still starring at me from behind dark sunglasses.

"Are you the Men In Black?" Derek asked with his normal smart ass responses. One of the guys flashed his gun and Derek paled. The older one put his hand of the other guy's shoulder and he relaxed. I knew that they must have been serious if they were talking about my father.

"It's alright Mrs. Foley. I will go with them." I stated after the little starring match had ended.

"I don't know if I am allowed to let you go." The blonde worried about shifting back and forth in her spot. If she did something wrong she could be fired. But this was a serious matter and I didn't have time to worry about that.

"You have to let me go. It's about my father." With those words I stomped out of the classroom followed closely behind by the Agents. I could hear the shuffle of desks and feet as the students of my class ran to the door to watch me walk down the hallway. As I passed each classroom eyes darted towards me and widened in surprise. This clearly was not a normal sight for them. They probably thought I was getting arrested for dealing drugs or something. Not that I did drugs. Never in my life.