23 - We Must Be Killers

Clara had felt like a giant pair of scissors had snipped through the reel of her memories and removed a chunk of footage, because when she came to, she was standing over Blake's broken body, out of breath and exhausted with blood on her hands. She blinked a few times and quickly wiped the blood on her jeans before looking at her aunt, the sight making her gasp and cup a hand over her mouth.

Blake had received some injuries before when Devon had given her a beating, but she was barely recognizable now. Her dark hair was matted with crimson, as were her clothes. Her face and neck were badly bruising and one eye was swollen shut and her lip was bleeding profusely. There were bloody cuts and scrapes along her shoulder and arms, with splinters dug into a few places. The real kicker was the knife buried in her chest; a jagged wound extending from her naval to her ribcage causing a pool of blood to gather beneath her body.

Clara looked up with wide eyes as she heard Devon inhale sharply. They made eye-contact and Clara could already see from her friend's expression that whatever memories she was missing had been brutal ones.

"What did I do...?" Clara said softly, her hands slowly dropping to swing idly by her sides.

Devon gulped, taking a few moments to answer. "You... You just beat the shit out of your aunt, out of an infamous killer no less" she uttered, both frightened and stunned by what she had witnessed. "You smashed the chair you were in over her head, then you kinda let rip on her for a while. Some of the things you said were quite cliché but it was all in the moment, ya know?"

Clara glanced down as her foot hit something, finding the broken fragments of the wooden chair scattered at her feet. She whipped her head up again as Devon groaned in pain, slumping against the wall as she looked at her own wounds while remaining expressionless, either unfazed by the state of her wounds or too weak to care.

Clara sprang into action, searching the room for her bag. Of course it was lying beside Amity's strung up corpse; she had to hold back tears as she came close to her now deceased friend, seeing the vacancy in her once bright eyes, now clouded over by the afterlife. Without a second glance, she hurried back over to Devon, who was looking worse by the second.

She fished around in her bag, hand closing around the first aid kit she had brought along for no apparent reason other than in case the group had survived long enough not to bleed out. Clara was now thankful she had thought optimistically enough for at least one moment before she left. She managed to get a look at her own hands now that she was clear-headed. Her wrists were blistered from her struggles, sure, but her knuckles were also bruised and grazed from whatever force she had inflicted upon her aunt.

"Hold on Dev, this might hurt" she warned in a low voice as she carefully peeled her jacket away from her shoulder, using one of the various knives laying around to help cut the remaining leather away so she didn't have anything obscuring her work. She began to clear away the blood and patch the horrific wound up, now thankful that her mother had made her take a first-aid course.

Devon whimpered in pain, her hands shooting out to grip Clara's extended forearm, her nails digging into her skin instinctively. "M-Make it stop... please Clara, it hurts" she mumbled.

Clara looked up at her face, taking in how terrible she actually looked. That final slash Blake has made created a cut above her left eyebrow, from which blood had begun to drip down the side of her face, the blood only avoiding her eye because she had kept her head tilted. There were tear streaks down her cheeks which glistened in the low light, reminding Clara how much it really could to break Devon to this point; that girl wasn't the type to tear up for any regular reason.

"Okay, okay, I'm done with your shoulder" Clara replied, rubbing her friend's arm in a comforting way. "But I've gotten check out your other wounds, alright? Otherwise, you won't make it out of here".