20 - Hellfire

Nathan didn't know how much longer he could keep suppressing the hellfire that burned behind his eyes. He stayed silent whenever Hayley was hurt, whenever another blade was jammed into her skin, simply because he didn't want to push her torturer over the edge and risk getting them both killed. So when he heard Clara's piercing scream ring through the building, that silence was broken and the fire in him ignited brighter than ever, fuelled by his ex's lack of empathy and inhumane nature.

The psychological torture wasn't quite working how Indiana wanted it to, so his thoughts were focused on Clara's whereabouts and on the condition of Hayley rather than his pastel-haired ex, which irritated the latter even more with every passing moment.

"How could you have so much hatred for someone? How is there even any room for love in you?!" he shouted, glaring at the girl who dared to entice him.

Indiana rested one hand against the bedpost nearest to Nate's head, her eye noticeably twitching. "Oh Nathan, there's room for love even in the darkest places," she said seductively, tracing a cold finger down Nate's bare chest.

He looked away from her, eyes shifting over to Hayley whose was whispering almost inaudibly. He couldn't hear what she was saying, but when her eyes met his, she mouthed "Devon" to him. Relief began to extinguish his anger; Hayley still had her earpiece, which meant that Devon could send help before they met their demise. He gave her a slight nod in understanding just before a curtain of pink and blue obscured much of his vision.

During his moment of diverted attention, Indiana had crawled onto the bed and straddled Nate, licking her lips as she stared down at him hungrily. She leaned down and began leaving kisses on his neck, causing him to shut his eyes and focus on anything else but her. His mind shifted focus to scuffling coming from upstairs that echoed through the ceiling, followed shortly after by a series of banging noises. By this time, Indiana was pressed up against his chest, running her fingers through his hair. When she noticed his closed eyes and rigid body, she frowned and sat up, causing Nate to open his eyes and study her face.

"You seem tense," she said flatly. He rolled his eyes at her, "Really? I hadn't noticed. I was perfectly comfortable lying here with three out of my four limbs secured to the bed" he said, sarcasm dripping from the sentence.

Indiana let out a huff "Maybe this will make you feel more comfortable" she murmured, leaning forward and puckering her lips. Nate's eyes widened and he moved his free hand - which had been resting behind his head to stop a piece of metal in the firm mattress from digging into his head – to hold her back by her shoulder, which proved difficult as she had the upper hand. He looked through a gap in her curls and saw Hayley's tear-streaked face, her expression unmistakable; 'Do something! I don't want to watch this...'. Just as she was inches away from his face, the worst possible thing happened.

BANG!

The sound of a gunshot, one fairly close by, rang through the entire building. Hayley grew still, tears welling up on her shocked face. Indiana pulled back sharply, rolling off of Nate onto the other side of the bed, propping herself up on her elbows. Her chest was rising and falling rapidly, she herself startled by the uncommon sound. Horrible thoughts invaded Nate's mind, but his sense of denial was overruling any initial shock. She's not dead. Clara is not dead. That must've been a warning shot. The killer wouldn't make quick work of her, right...?

"Took her long enough," Indiana said with a smirk, resuming her former position on Nate and brushing her hair behind her ear, leaning back in for that kiss. "Come here, babe" she whispered, her lips brushing against Nate's.

Without warning, Nate bit down hard on Indiana's bottom lip, causing the girl to scream, almost blowing out his eardrums as she managed to pull away without tearing her lip off. She leant her weight on one hand, covering her lip with the other as blood began to pool in her mouth. She glared at Nate, once again seeing anger blaze behind his eyes.