Chapter 28: Fence-mending

Two days after the battle of invasion, every leaf shinobi were gathered up at the 3rd Hokage's funeral on the rainy weather at the top of the tower where they stand up, grieving for a moment of silence. Naruto looked over at Konohamaru sobbing beside Iruka-sensei, who was comforting him on the shoulder and embraced him.

The blonde-haired ninja asked Iruka-sensei if life is just that simple, to which Iruka replied with an explanation, saying that when a person dies, they lose everything. He pointed out the fact that the third Hokage died fighting in a mission and death caught him unaware. Absolutely, life was that simple and it is like a dream, even if no one hasn't reached their goals.

"Everyone knows that the most important thing is to die for a cause. Family, friends, lovers, and all the other villagers. To me, those are the most important people. We trust each other, help each other from the day we're born and to the day we die. We start to feel that love is the most important thing in the world. Anyone with this headband on knows because it is very relevant," Iruka stated quietly, much to the others' understanding of what it means.

Later on after they head home, the ninjas are once again looking forward to a new tomorrow, whereas Team 7 and the Sand siblings met up at the entrance on a nice, sunny afternoon and say their farewells before departing back to the hidden sand village.

"Sakura, Naruto... we want to thank you for saving Gaara out of that tailed-beast form and power. We thought we were about to lose him there completely," Temari said smilingly in relief. "That includes you too, Sasuke."

"Yeah, you guys spoke like true shinobi. Man, we've fought a lot like hell," Kankuro commented with a chuckle as he rubbed his head on the back. "Chunin exams were a big pain in the ass."

"Speak for yourself. I almost died out there," Naruto cringed while he had his arms behind his head.

Sakura giggled and said. "You're welcome that we helped and figured it out..." Then, her eyes landed on the redhead who smiled at her the way he did before. "I'm really happy that you're back. Again, I'm so sorry that I had no idea whatsoever-" her babbling got cut off when Gaara spoke.

"It's alright. There's no need... I feel a lot better now," he said calmly. "I can't thank you guys enough."

"Awesome!!" Naruto gave them a thumbs up and jumped giddily while Sasuke nodded curtly in approval.

Sakura asked shyly. "Before you guys go, can I give each of you a warm hug?"

Kankuro and Temari agreed with a grin in unison. "Sure." They embraced her in a circle. Once they let go of her, she approaches in front of the redhead and wrapped her arms around him, which he did the same. "Awww...." They gushed sweetly over them in their minds.

Naruto, on the other hand, pouted playfully in jealousy and cried in anime tears. As for Sasuke, he usually smirks with his arms crossed at that.

After a couple of minutes, the Sand siblings waved their hands at them as soon as they left and traveled back.

Sakura turned around to look at her teammates, saying out loud. "Ramen's on me! My treat!"

"Yeah! Alright!" Naruto pumped his fist in the air with excitement.

"Certainly," Sasuke chuckled lightly as the three of them walked to the Ramen place, stopping by to eat and chill out for the rest of the day.

Between Gaara and Sakura's point of view, they both know that their friendship has become so rare after fixing the problems they had a while back and also based on the peace treaty alliance with each other. They decided that it was the right thing to make peaceful amends, so it wouldn't cause so much conflict and war that would affect their financial needs. But the leaders of their countries are finally beginning to cooperate together in good progress, which several papers had been signed by different former groups of citizens to deal with global issues.

They may be far apart away but one thing for sure is that they will always keep their friendship bracelets on their wrists.

Despite the things that had happened at the chunin exams, deep down, Sakura and Gaara considered each other as best friends and allies, even as they were before way back in their childhood... Perhaps, they would turn into something even more.