Chapter 8: The Land of Waves

The next day after they passed their tough survival test, Team 7 began doing D-rank missions. Apparently, Naruto and Sasuke didn't seem to like going on easy missions because it was all pretty lame, but Sakura didn't mind at all. She seems to be okay about all the missions they've been through because it was just the beginning. However, Naruto and Sasuke were not capable of going on lame missions, such as babysitting an elder's grandson, shopping in the neighbourhod village, or helping with the potato digging. The two were not interested in those dumb duties, it's like doing chores.

"Now... Kakashi's team 7, your next duty is..." the Hokage was about to announce their mission when Naruto interrupted.

"No! No! No! No, thank you! I want to do it, you know! More incredible missions! Find us a better one!" Naruto said in an outburst.

"I agree," Sasuke thought. He was annoyed as Naruto, but didn't show it.

"Geez... How annoying," Sakura thought, narrowing her eyes at him as well.

Kakashi sighed. "I thought it was about time for this."

Iruka slammed his hands down on the table and yelled. "You idiot! You are just a rookie! Everyone starts off with simple duties and works their way up!"

The Hokage sighed tiredly when Naruto began to yell back.

"But! But! We keep getting the crappiest possible duties!"

"Be quiet, you!" Kakashi punched him on the back of his head.

"Naruto, it seems I have to explain to you what these duties are all about. Listen, every day the village receives numerous requests from babysitting to the assassination. Each request is written down on these lists and divided into an A,B,C,D ranking based on difficulty. The village is also divided based on skill. Starting with me to the jounins, chunins, and genins. The missions are then... handed out by us at the top to ninjas based on their abilities. And if the duty is completed successfully, we receive payment from the client. You guys just recently became genin. D-rank missions are perfect for you," the Hokage finished explaining.

"Last night, I had pork ramen, so miso sounds good for..." Naruto, however, wasn't listening to what all he said, which annoyed the Hokage.

"Hey! Listen!" He yelled vehemently at him.

"I... I apologize..." Kakashi rubbed the back of his head.

"Geez... All you do is give lectures like that. But you know what?! I'm not the trouble-making brat you still think I am!" Naruto said stubbornly, sitting down and crossing his arms.

"I'm going to get yelled at later for this," Kakashi thought.

Iruka looked at the Hokage, who was smirking at Naruto intently.

"Ok," the Hokage began to speak when Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi stared at him for a moment. "If you want that much, I'll give you a C-rank mission. It's a protection mission of a certain individual."

"Yay!" Naruto cheered happily, leaving the rest of Team 7 stunned. "Who?! A feudal lord?! A princess?!" He asked eagerly.

"Calm down, I'm about to introduce him," the Hokage said smirking, leaving the room in complete dead silence when the door opened slightly by a man, who appears to be carrying a bottle of wine.

"What's this?" The man asked in a raspy tone of his voice and drank some of it. "They are all a bunch of super brats. Especially the shortest one with the super stupid-looking face. Are you really a ninja? Hey?!" He leaned his elbow against the door frame and gazed at them with a dull expression.