Chapter 16 - Away

Shravan was staring at the ceiling, blank and expressionless. He was going through that phase where a thousand thoughts were crossing his mind but he could not definitely hold on to any. He was there for work. Or was it a much needed break? He needed to know himself and what he wanted. He was not a teenager now, he had to act grown up, even if he didn't feel like it. He was thinking about how shielded he had been under his family through years. Now that it was time to take charge of his life, he was shaking, not being able to cling on to anything in particular. But that is not how life works, it never did.

He was thinking about the cheery moments spent at Tiwari Killa. How beautifully the gravity of moment got out some part of him he never knew existed. How Sumo always raised this stern man to the peak of his emotions was something still incomprehensible to him. Was he, by any case, feeling wobbly over his lost years and wanted to make up for it? He immediately shove away the idea. It couldn't be. He had always cared, always. Although he did mistakes that were big yet he kept caring relentlessly. That was one thing he was sure of, love or not.

'I probably shouldn't stress so much. Love is not easy. Emotions can overflow, feelings can change. I should grant adequate time to me and Sumo before committing any further mistake. I need to make sure I act correctly at the right time. For now, Shravan, focus on business. Work on your case,' he spoke to himself, trying to divert his stubborn mind.

Minutes passed and Shravan sat quietly with the files scattered around him. Once resolved that he could not concentrate on work, he walked out to his balcony. The magnificent view of Lake Ontario generated a vacancy within his heart. A hollow space, made to be filled with love; and the love, was it Sumo? He shook his head with fervour. Not again Shravan.

(After a few hours)

'Hey Pushkar, where are you?' he asked.

'Why?' Pushkar asked back. The line went silent.

'What's up bhaiya, what's wrong with you? You didn't even ask how I am and want to know my whereabouts? By any chance are you into someone and don't care about your brother anymore?' Pushkar said, faking a concerned tone.

'You want to be my punch bag again? Idiot, I just wanted to know what you're doing.'

'But you asked where I am, not what I'm doing- fooling me huh bro? I'm a lawyer myself, don't forget it,' he smirked.

'Oh my good lord! Shravan The Great Malhotra totally lost the case to Pushkar The good-for-nothing Malhotra. Now will you tell me where you are and what you are doing,' Shravan inquired again, outsmarting Pushkar.

'You are one of a kind Mister Shra to the Ravan (devil) Malhotra. Okay since you inquired, here's a sneak peek of my interesting life. I am at home, doing nothing. Everyone is out for some reason, Sumo and I are home managing the cooking section and decorations.'

'Home?' Shravan asked surprised.

' Yes bhaiya, we couldn't bother the Tiwaris forever, could we?'

'Oyee, which high court did you call? What happened? Did I not feed you enough? And you ungrateful
creep, you're still complaining?' Suman bashed.

' Slow slow..oh my..ouchhhh..bhaiii save meee!'

Suman took a backward step as she heard him calling out Shravan's name. She was about to turn and leave when Pushkar called from behind.

'Hello sister, my brother, Shravan The Greatest Malhotra, wants to talk to Suman The Dumb Tiwari. Say a quick prayer and take the phone,' blurted Pushkar The Wingman and disappeared like he was never there.

Suman fiddled her fingers over the phone. What a new trouble!

'Hello,' the voice came from the other side.

'Hmm,' Suman mumbled, deciding a hello would be too kind for Shravan.

'How are you Sumo?'

Suman did not answer. How could he be so calm and composed after what he had done?

'Sumo?' he called her name when she did not answer.

'I'm occupied with something important, talk to you later,' she hung up not caring to look back at the screen; if she did, she knew she would end up saying something she would later regret. She could not comprehend how her old Shravan, who was so caring became such insensitive about her. Sighing, she went back to work.

'But Sumo, why do you care so much about what he does?' she asked herself and shut her own thoughts.

(Canada)

'Congratulations Shravan! You screwed up, yet again.'

Sharavan glared at his own reflection on the mirror and threw his fist at the wall. He was disgusted with himself.

'So Shravan, you played with her emotions? You went up to her yourself, you called her friend, you gave her hopes, you touched her, oh and wait- you almost kissed her as well! Brilliant!' he exclaimed, as he banged his hands on the wall as long as he could bear the pain. Observing his hands turn red, he stopped. He could not cry easily but he wished he could; he wanted to punish himself but the pain was unbearable.

'Why did I not think of this before? I am trying to control myself, trying to figure myself, but what about her? What is she thinking? What is she possibly going through? How much does she hate me now? Oh God please make Sumo understand my condition. Only if I had somebody to help me with this. Pushkar is a brat, he regards anything as love. But no. It's about Sumo. I can't risk it. Ugh what do I do? Where do I go? How do I know that the way I feel about her is love? God please help, I need time to come to any conclusion, but Sumo...' he continued, 'I can't hurt Sumo like this. I think I should talk to her. We're friends before anything else and she'll understand I'm sure. Maybe she'll know what to do better than me. Yes. Yes Shravan. Talk to her.'

Shravan picked up his phone from the ground and switched it on. After the conversation he was so furious, he had thrown it away with all his force. As his broken screen lit up, he checked the time (which was pretty late) and decided to call Suman the next morning instead.

'Goodnight Ravan Malhotra,' he murmured to himself as he sacked out.

A/n: So how are you all doing? Tomorrow's mom's birthday and I'm so excited to arrange something special!

About the writing, I spent a huge amount of time behind this chapter but am still not satisfied with it. If you feel the same, suggestions are welcome. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

You can also reach me at Instagram @nubahm.

Goodnight lovelies! See you with the next update ❤️