Chapter 24

Mark's POV

The boys all stared at us in shock, "Wait, if he remembered us after you guys brought him back then why didn't he remember us before? Did they wipe his memory?" Zayn asked while leaning his arm on the table.

"Well yes, but not intentionally. Niall insisted that we take out the capsule as soon as, possible so he could get back to work. So we sent him to surgery while you guys were still knocked out." Brianna said while clutching onto Harry's torso.

"Okay, I'm not hearing how he lost his memory." Louis said, Kat beat me to it. "The surgery was very complex because the capsule was attached to his central nerves system, there was a complication during the procedure... The doctors eventually got out the capsule but Niall lost his memory about the whole facility since that was the part Spencer was altering with the bug..."

The boys' eyes all widened, "What! Is it permanent?" Liam asked quickly, "We don't know because Niall knew what Katherine and My names were before we introduced ourselves to him. That means that he recognized us, he just does not know from where."

The boys all nodded in understanding, "Why did you guys act like you didn't know who we were?" Harry asked while looking at Brianna, "We weren't sure if they wiped your memory or not so we waited to see if you recognized us first." Liam looked at me with stress staring at me through his tired eyes.

"We better get back to uh... To Niall." He said while standing up and walking out of the room, I looked at the others and stated, "I got it." Before following him out of the room. Liam and I had grown close over his time at the agency and I could tell he was disappointed about something.

"Li! Liam wait!" I called after him, he stopped short and turned around with a huff. "What's wrong?" I questioned him, "What if we didn't remember you guys? Would you have stayed hidden? Not tell us the truth?" He questioned, I huffed, knowing that someone was going to ask this question.

"Yes but-" "But nothing Mark! You would have let everything we have been through disappear!" He snapped, full of rage, "you would have let me, Niall, and the boys all disappear!" He jerked my hand off his bicep and kept walking, "Shit, Liam!" I cursed under my breath.

I ran up behind him and made him turn around to face me. "Liam! Do you think this was my choice? Do you think I wanted to let one of my best friends leave? No of course not!" He jerked again, "Then why didn't you try and stop it?!" He snapped back, "because I was looking out for you! God dammit Liam! I was trying to protect you and the boys!"

His features softened, "What? What do y-" "Liam, do you know how many people want me, Kat, and Brianna dead!? A lot Liam! They will do anything to hurt us, including hurt the people we care about!" I shook his shoulders trying to make my point clear.

"You were gone Liam! Out of the facility, away from the bad guys, with no idea about me. You.. Were... Safe. I wanted to keep you safe! You guys are my best friends, without Niall there was nothing keeping you four at the agency! We were protecting you! We still are!"

His features softened, "B-" "We are here Liam, I'm rite here. We're back and, hopefully, we won't be going anywhere." A small smile crossed his features, "Hell you aren't." He grabbed me in a hug, which I gladly returned. "You aren't going anywhere. But we have another problem... What about Niall?"

Brianna's POV

"They remember us sir. All of them but Niall, that is." I said into my phone, "What do we do?" I could practically imagine Mr. S sitting at his desk while rubbing small circles on his temples to relieve the stress from an oncoming headache.

"We can't just let them go sir, we just can't." I stated while sliding down the hallway wall. "I completely agree, we need to get Niall back and, from what you have reported, I believe that we could return his memory... But we must be careful." I was a little confused at his last demand.

"Why don't we just bring him back to the facility? Show him around to jog his memory?" I asked, seeing that it was the fastest way to see results. "Well Brianna, if we throw all this at him, when he has no recollection of any of this, he may thinks it's all a trick." Now I was confused beyond belief.

"Niall used to have terrible dreams when he was younger where he said that the only way to wake up was for him to die, what if he thinks that this is all a dream and tests his 'theory?'" He questioned, I remembered that all too clearly. Many-a-time I used to have to go to Niall's room in the middle of the night to wake him up from his screaming slumber, to remind him that it wasn't real.

"Okay, how do you suggest we approach this, sir?" I asked timidly while rubbing my thumb over the small N carved into the back of my facility tag. "Just do little things, wear your agency tag so he could see it, have Katherine wear her ring at all times, have the boys reinact things that have happened at the facility, or whatever you think will get results at a controlled pace."

"Yes, Sir. Agent Trescot out." I said while hanging up the phone. I immediately called Kat and explained the plan to her, she was obviously mad that Niall wouldn't come back so quickly but she was willing to give it a try. I wore my tag on the outside of my jacket and Kat wore her ring out in the open.

I then took Niall's tag and put it in his jacket pocket, so he would find it soon after he saw my own. Niall still has his agency training so he should be able to put two and two together rather quickly and begin questioning things.

As I had an "introductory conversation" with Niall after his recording session, I played with the chain of my tag by spinning it through my slender fingers so he would be sure to notice the silver card. He finally asked me, with a slightly wary expression "That's a cool chain! Where'd you get it?" I was hesitant about my answer but I finally decided on one.

"Oh, one of my best friends gave it to me when we were little. He still has the other matching one, we are still pretty close friends today." He nodded with that same look plastered on his face, "I uh, I'm going to go get some water, do you want some?" He asked, trying to escape the conversation.

"Oh, no thanks I'm fine." He walked away rubbing his head, I quickly opened the group chat I had with the others and sent "It had an affect on his memory, keep it up but keep it moderate...

Niall is coming back to us."