49

It was game day, finally

Howard University seemed to be at a stand still, even with the constant moving of anxious Bison fans walking back and forth throughout the campus. Classes, if there were even any, were cancelled. Teachers who usually posted online Blackboard assignments hadn't even gone online today, and it seemed as if for once, everyone was on the same page. The game was literally the only move tonight. Nobody was hosting a party, a kickback, none of that. If you weren't at the game tonight, you were possibly missing out on history in the making.

Even the Bisonette dancers were in game mode. Usually, we'd be in the dressing room by noon, but not this time. Coach Liz wanted dancers in the dressing by nine o'clock in the morning room. Our uniforms were custom made and very extra, in my opinion, fitting for the occasion. Instead of us doing our own hair and make up for the game, Coach Liz had invited two special people just to help make sure we looked good. If the dancers were going all out, I could only imagine how hectic it would be for the basketball players.

Our uniform, sparkly and gold, fit nicely against the complexion of all of our skins, and the nice beach waves placed in our head seemed perfect for the constant hair flipping we'd be doing throughout the routine. I was excited. It was our last game, so it was a little bitter sweet not going to lie. That meant no more practices, no more being busy throughout the week, but that also meant no more dancing which was always a problem for me.

Not going to lie, having the extra free time would be much needed.

My parents were in the crowd. I knew that because of the selfie my mother sent to my messages of the two of them in their Bison ensemble. I was curious as to where they got it from, but I knew a lot of vendors were littered around the campus today charging people at abnormally high prices because they knew people needed the gear. I laughed at the picture, typing in a quick response towards their direction.

"I'm so nervous," Alisha spoke. Her leg was bouncing up and down as she applied another unneeded layer of lipgloss to her lips. Alisha never got nervous, and I suppose it was just the signifcance of the game that was giving her these emotions.

"Relax, everything is going to be a-okay." Nia assured us, even though I could tell she too, had a bit of anxiety in her. Not going to lie, I did too. My anxiety came from having to watch Colby play today. We didn't have time to speak in person, but we'd been texting back and forth since we woke up this morning. He tried to assure me that he wasn't nervous, but I knew he was. Colby always felt as if the entire basketball team was on his shoulders. If he wasn't on his a-game today, and it costed us a win, it would kill him. I bit my lip, glancing down at my phone as I waited for a response from him. I probably wasn't going to get one though. It was nearing fifteen minutes until game time, and Colby had a habit of turning off his phone so he didn't get distracted.

"Alright ladies!" Coach Liz's voice switched our attention towards the front of the room where Coach Liz stood, Martina next to her. Martina had a bright smile on her face as she watched the group of dancers focus their attention on her. These were dancers that Martina has danced with for the last four years, and finally, it was her last time on that stage. Her uniform was a bit different than ours, and she had a sash that had the words Captain etched across it. She looked good, and I couldn't help but be happy for her.