6

And you're right, we're too old to be playing games

And you're right, we're too old to be playing games. I want you.
I didn't even bother telling my mother about my first game today.

The game was so last minute, and knowing my mother she would probably need two weeks to come up with an excuse so she could fly out here. I couldn't lie though, seeing all these parents on campus for the first game was definitely a sight. There was nobody to blame but myself--I chose not to tell her myself. Alisha's mom was in town, so she was going to be busy up until it was time to meet in the dressing room before the game. Adele was doing last minute shopping for an outfit for tonight, so the only other person I had was Nia. It wasn't an issue because her and I never really had a chance to bond. So when she asked me if I wanted to get breakfast at the cafe, I couldn't help but oblige.

"It's packed on campus, isn't it?" Nia questioned as she looked out the window at the hustle and bustle of Howard's campus.

"Just imagine how packed it's going to be at two o'clock when the game starts. I heard tickets sold out pretty quickly." I mentioned, thinking back to the email Coach Liz had sent. She had warned us about how quickly they would be selling out at our first practice, but she had held a couple tickets for people who needed them for family reasons. "But Bisonettes get a whole two rows to themselves so..." Nia mentioned with amusement in her voice.

"Oh please. As if we are really going to stop dancing to watch sweaty dudes play basketball." I responded jokingly, but Nia looked as if she was dead serious.

"Coach Liz and Carmen may have scared you, but they haven't scared me. If I don't get me a man, I'll get me a boy toy to call when these college nights get cold." Nia announced with a smirk on her face. It sounded pretty bold from Nia, but then again, her and Alisha had always been the more flamboyant ones of the group. "Sage don't act like you're not doing the same! There's five hundred plus likes on that picture of you on Colby's page." Nia spoke once she sensed my hesitance at her response. I groaned and placed a hand on my face. "Really? It's not that serious, right?" I questioned Nia. Despite the fact that I've been avoiding bringing Colby up at all, I felt like I needed to tell someone. Was I overreacting? Was I underreacting?

"Well, what's not serious? Is there something going on between you too?" Nia asked as she leaned closer towards me, taking a long sip of her apple juice.

I bit my lip.

"I mean if 'something' means the kiss we shared yesterday, then yes."

"Kiss? Girl. You kissed the Colby Towers. He's supposed to be getting drafted after this semester. You're like big balling out here." Nia exclaimed, and I placed a hand on her shoulder before checking around to make sure no one heard us--well, her. "That's not the issue. You don't think its a little soon? I mean, I met him literally a week and a day ago."I questioned. Nia shrugged. "People have sex with people on the first date. It's just a kiss. I think you're overreacting." Nia responded, which calmed my nerves a little bit.