46

School was back in session, much to my despair

School was back in session, much to my despair. It was the first Monday back and teachers were already bombarding us with work. We didn't have much time to recoup from the great break--well, great in my sense. After Christmas, Colby, Tanisha, and I barely spent anytime in the house. If we weren't at the mall spending money (that we didn't have) on clothes and food, Colby was showing mostly me around the DC area. We went to like three different arcades, a skating rink, an art gallery--his friend Dillon, the same Dillon from earlier in the school year, had another art show--and the movies. Of course, New Years was the highlight of the break. Mrs. Donna allowed us to drift from the house for New Years and we watched the countdown from his old high school which was surprisingly really fun.

The teachers and parents who were suppose to 'supervise' the people who attended, didn't do much of that at all. In fact, at one point, two bottles of Hennessy were placed on the table where the food was suppose to be. I didn't drink any, but Tanisha and Colby had fun with that.

And of course, you know what Hennessy led to.

I FaceTimed Alisha, Claire, and Nia during the ordeal and wished them all a happy New Year. Once New Year passed, not going to lie, I was a little annoyed to be going back to school, but Colby's practice started that Thursday, so on Wednesday morning we were making our way back to the campus.

And now I was here. Back in class, back to learning about things that nine times out of then didn't interest me, and back to the harsh practice. Practices started back up today--same time, same place, different shit. According to the email Coach Liz had sent the dancers, she was really going to be evaluating us. The closer it got to the end of basketball season, the closer it got to the end of dance season. Martina would be losing her crown as captain and would be giving the thrown to someone else. Coach Liz was not playing any bias at all. Over the break, according to Snapchat, multiple people were called into the studio over the break, one of them being Carmen. She made sure to Snapchat almost every single thing and I would be stupid to not think it was targeted towards me.

I wasn't going to let her get to me, not this year.

2017, I was going to deem as my year.

Claire was in the dorm room when class was finished. She was always taking some long ass 8 o'clock seminar class that made her schedule look shorter than it appeared, when it reality, it was a lot longer and a lot more tedious. Claire's intentions were to graduate at least a year earlier, and based on the work load she gave herself first semester, I'm sure with enough dedication she could.

"Getting ready for practice?" Claire questioned, barely looking up from her computer. She had invested into some really cute glasses and she'd been wearing them a lot. I was curious to know if they were really prescription, or if she just thought they made her look more studious.

Claire was the type of person to do something like that.

"You know it. It's the first practice of the new semester so I can't afford to miss it," I revealed, slipping out of my jeans and t-shirt I had worn to class. I had yet to repack my dance bag, despite all the time I had since coming on campus. Nia, Alisha, and I wanted to stop and grab a smoothie from the cafeteria before practice, but for me to do that then I'd need to be ready for practice first.