She laughed, a smug look on her face. "Did you notice where you are, Miss Gracie?" I gave her a puzzled look before following her gaze. Cody’s face was still peacefully asleep, his face half-hidden by black locks. "Oh no..." Some part of me had hoped this was all just a dream, but clearly it wasn’t. I couldn’t afford for Cody wake up to this. "Oh no. Oh my god." I glanced in panic at the door. If Kaycie was able to come in here without waking either of us then… If Hunter saw us... I shuddered at what he might do to Cody. "Kaycie! You have to help me! How do I make him let go?"

"Well why would you want him to do that?" She replied, like the whole concept of what I said confused her greatly.

"Because this is bad. Very bad!" I hissed uselessly at her, still trying to be quiet. I had no idea what reaction Cody would have if he woke up to us in this position, but part of me wanted to see; a very small stupid part that I quieted immediately. I have to get up. The only thing that kept me from pulling away was the fear of him waking up.

Kaycie sighed in annoyance. "You should probably get up before Hunter comes in. You have classes today." With that she skipped cheerfully out of the room.

            Thank you Kaycie, you’re ever so helpful, the thoughts I fired at her were useless as I examined my situation once more. If I could just move a little this way… and then lift his arm just so… Somehow I ran out of mattress to maneuver on. I hit the floor with a loud thump, knocking one of my knees painfully. Before I could attract any more attention I scurried over to my mattress and threw some covers over my head and instant before I heard Cody stir. “Gracie?”

            I pretended to yawn and rub my eyes. “What?”

His face instantly took on a slightly confused look and there was a moment where he looked from his bed to my current position. "Time to get up,” He finally said. “You have classes today. I’ll go get breakfast.” Without another word, he got to his feet and left the room, his face still holding a thoughtful expression.

"He knows. He definitely knows." I sighed to myself as I got off the mattress and went to rifle through my trunk of clothes, trying to push Cody out of my thoughts. Humming to myself, I dug around a bit and found a blue plaid skirt with a normal black t-shit; I was grateful there were still some normal things I could wear here. After I dressed I called to let Cody know he could come back in, carrying a tray of food as he did so.

"Oh! Yummy!" I exclaimed, moving to snatch a piece of bacon off the plate.

Cody laughed despite himself and set the tray down on the bed. I stole another slice, munching happily. He was trying not to stare but I could see him still shooting glances at me. Best play it oblivious, in any case. I didn’t want Cody to know how much I remembered about last night; it would cause too many problems. I frowned as I realized he must be hungry too. So, still chewing, I grabbed his hand and put a piece of bacon on it before I closed his fingers around it and pushed his hand back. He raised an eyebrow but ate it in silence. I gave him some toast too, which he ate without complaint.

When we were done, he dug around in the pocket of his jeans and pulled out what looked to be a schedule. "I won’t be with you today." He explained quietly. I nodded in silence and took the piece of paper out of his hands. “Be careful.” Cody’s eyes were unreadable, as always, as he stepped away. Giving him a quiet smile, I ventured off to my classes, in silence, wondering why he wouldn’t be coming with me, but I knew better than to ask.

*******

Today had been a longer day than I had previously thought and it still wasn’t over. My history teacher was boring, my math teacher was rude and my English teacher assigned way too much homework. I had a free hour at the moment though, so I was trying to find one of the many study’s around this huge mansion. The teacher had given me an essay to write which sucked because I had to do research about an old poet. Some part of my wanted to laugh at how ridiculous this entire situation was. I was kidnapped by a vampire who wanted me to marry him and in the meantime is still sending me to do schoolwork. You’d think I’d be able to throw the whole school thing, being a kidnap victim and all, but no. Sighing, I flung open the door to the room closest to me and blew out a breath of relief when I noticed all the books. Closing the door, I began searching through the shelves but I grew distracted when I heard an odd slurping sound.

Puzzled I headed to the source of the noise on the other side of the room. My belongings fell from my hands and I let out a gasp of horror. It was Hunter, bent over the neck of another maid.

Blood was dripping down from his mouth in a red syrupy waterfall.

It only took me two seconds to realize I had just interrupted a feeding. His gold eyes, now blood red, stared at me with a savage animal gleam. He dropped the maid and began slowly approaching me, his fangs drawn and in the open.

I backed away slowly my eyes still on Hunter as he approached. With one last glance his way, I bolted for the door to find it already blocked with none other than Hunter himself. I continued edging away as he stepped forward again and again, gaining on me.

Panic was making my throat close. "Um I’m sorry I interrupted your um dinner but if I can just go then you can go right ahead and finish!" I told him nervously.

A small smile played on his blood stained lips as he shook his head at me. The mere image gave me shivers. "Food." He murmured, licking his lips.

"You don’t really want to eat me, do you? I’m going to be your wife! You can’t eat your wife!" I yelped as I was thrown against the wall, Hunter's hand on my neck. I didn’t even have a chance to run in another direction. He pressed his body against mine and lowered his nose, gliding it along my covered shoulder. I felt him snarl in anger and he ripped the neckline all the way down to the sleeve. The torn fabric fell away leaving it bare. Hunter rumbled in satisfaction, almost like a cat, and began moving his lips around the exposed shoulder, barely skimming my skin.

"Such a lovely neck..." He whispered and kissed around the base. By this time I was breathing rapidly, begging for it to stop. He seemed to like the way my chest pressed against him every time I inhaled, since his body was the only thing pinning me against the wall. A growl of pleasure erupted from him and he pushed himself more firmly against me, still admiring my "lovely neck".

"Gracie!" A frantic voice came out of nowhere and I turned my eyes to see Alec hovering close by, an expression of horror on his face. "Do something! Fight him! Don’t let him eat you!" His transparent gray eyes were full of anguish. I wasn’t sure if it would work but I still tried.

With all the strength I could muster I pushed against Hunter, trying to free myself but I didn’t move and inch. He only growled in rage and slammed me to the wall again going back to kissing my shoulder and throat. Licking it even. It was not very comfortable, not to mention he was even more tightly pressed against me than before. Turning to my last hope, I fired a thought at Alec. I made my lips form a single word, hoping he would understand. Cody.

Alec saw but I knew he didn’t want to leave me. Casting another despairing glance at me he shot out the door as fast as he could go. Only moments after he left, I felt Hunters fangs tug at the skin on my neck softly. Without meaning to, I let out another panicked gasp and struggled.

Hunter was done playing with his food.

With swift movements he jerked my head to the side and bit deep. I screamed as agony sped through me; my hands pushed useless at the stone statue drinking more and more of my blood. Slowly my sight began to dim and turn white around the edges; my thoughts turned hazy. Hunter finished drinking and stepped away and my body dropped to the floor but I barely felt it. Then he walked away, without a backward glance at his new bride. 

*****

            Cody’s arms carrying me…

            “Kaycie!”

            A soft familiar mattress… something warm, trying to coat my skin. I almost smiled at the feeling.

There were voices and sensations that drifted in to me, calling me back to open my eyes but I pushed them away, choosing to stay in this peaceful place where nothing hurt.  

"Did you call-"

 "…done all I can…”

A sharp prick on my arm made me want to jerk away.

 Finally, a callused hand, strong and warm, clutching my own. “Don’t leave me. Don’t die."

Cody.