Chapter 9

"Sit back down Gracie." He growled at me. I only tightened my grip on the girl.

            "Only if you let her go." Hunter gave me a long hard look. The silence and his stare alone made me want to back down but before I could he sighed and made a dismissive gesture with his hand. I let go of Ellie to see she was looking at me gratefully.

            "Thank you." She whispered, her large blue eyes quivering. I noticed a small scar under her right eye at the same moment. I stared at it curiously but she shot up and ran back to the kitchen, her tail swinging behind her. I rose silently and sat back down. Hunter let me eat silently, just glancing at me from time to time, his eyes a strange mix between kindness and anger.

            After that incident, Ellie, or any other younger maids, were allowed to serve us for dinner. They were all older, and brisk. I was required to dress “appropriately” for every dinner, be there on time and be able to carry a conversation with a very intent Hunter on the other side of the table. Dinner soon became my least favorite part of the day.

            It carried on like this for at least a week. He was always asking me about how my day was and what I did. The truth was I really didn't do much of anything. Without the “lessons” he promised I had a very open schedule, which left me literally following Cody around the castle as he did his daily work; he obviously wasn't very pleased with this arrangement. Hunter was apparently having trouble getting all the necessary teachers here to continue my education. Or so he had told me one evening while I ate. It was this tedium that I was forced to live with. I really wasn't allowed to do anything exciting and so the time I spent here dragged on even more so then it already was.

            When I had a moment of down time I often thought back to home, wondering how badly my parents were fairing. Or not my parents. The whole matter still confused me, but they'd still raised me with kindness, so that was almost enough to make up for it. I also wondered how Jesse was. She wasn't really close to other people and I imagined her scared and panicked over and over again until I grew sick of the feeling.

            One night at dinner there was finally a change in the monotony. The door was thrown open so loudly it scared me half to death, and I glanced up to see who had entered the room. A somewhat tall woman entered the room carrying a small box, her raven black hair flowing out behind her as she took graceful, quick steps to Hunter. She was very beautiful but then again, she was also terrifying. Her pale round face held no smile and her indigo eyes were sharp and alert as she shot glances at me.

            "My lord." She murmured bowing low to Hunter. Her voice gave me shivers. It was a high soprano yet sounded like it could dip into something inhuman at any moment. "I've found it." Her hands floated over the case, opening it to show Hunter who nodded in approval at something I couldn't see.

            "Thank you Laurie. You're dismissed., but I do ask that you file the new reports that are on my desk."

            The woman nodded. "Yes sir." With that she was gone, out the door as quickly as she came. I couldn't say I was disappointed.

            "Gracie," Hunter started formally.

            "Yes?" I answered carefully.

            "Are you finished with your meal??"

            "Pretty much." I mumbled, my stomach was starting to feel queasy.

            "Then come over here." He said softly. At first, I didn't move. “Please, dear, I haven't got all night.” I wasn't sure if he did it intentionally but as he spoke I saw the lights glint off one of his fangs. With slow movements, I stood from the chair to walk over and waited nervously in front of him. "Turn around please." Again, I obeyed slowly. I heard the chair move as Hunter stood then something was slipped over my head. Cold stone kissed my throat as a necklace was fastened in place and then suddenly his lips were there.  Touching the side of my neck, he left a kiss before he moved away. Goosebumps slid down my arms in waves. "I suggest you leave now before I get the urge to do other things, Miss Gracie. You taste too delicious for your own good. " A chuckle accompanied his words, the sound almost like a growl at my ear.