Chapter 14

I yawned sleepily and rested my head against Cody's chest once more, enjoying the warmth. Wait... Cody's chest? I blinked quickly, bringing my head up to stare around in confusion. Why wasn’t I on the floor? Cody mumbled something in his sleep and his face frowned with worry. He’s going to be furious if he found us like this. I only briefly remembered the night before. Something about a storm? Even so, if I had fallen asleep, Cody would’ve set me back on my bed… wouldn’t he? Quietly, I tried to ease myself up when I realized something that I should have noticed right away; Cody had wrapped his arms around me. We were closer than we had ever been before and I knew he wouldn’t like it.

Would he blame me? I remembered the argument he had had with Emily the day before. He certainly didn’t want me this close... "Cozy?" My eyes snapped up to see Alec smirking down at me and Cody in panic.

"No of course not. I have to move." I whispered stubbornly at him and tried lifting one of Cody’s arms off with two fingers.

Big mistake.

Cody growled softly, his lips twitching, and I was crushed to his bare chest. I felt him snuggle his face into the top of my head and quiet again. Is he… dreaming? Maybe, but there was certainly no way I was going anywhere; I sighed in frustration.

"Let him be, Gracie." Alec's voice was surprisingly gentle as he floated down closer to me. "Just sleep and enjoy it."

"But I don’t enjoy it!" I objected furiously, though my red cheeks gave me away. He’s just so warm and snuggable….

Alec was suddenly very close. "We both know that’s a damn lie."

I looked away sullenly. "So? He’s sleeping. He has no idea what he’s doing. We could put Kaycie here and he'd do the same thing." I reasoned but it seemed to be more with myself than him.

"No, he wouldn’t." My eyes flashed but Alec didn’t let me speak. "He’s a Demon, Gracie. He can recognize smells, even in his sleep. Cody knows it’s you. That’s why he’s reaching out. He feels you with him; you must comfort him or something.” The ghost rolled his eyes but watched Cody more carefully. “Think he’s having a nightmare?"

Alec was right; Cody's face betrayed all his emotions in his sleep. Fear, anger, sadness but most of all, a look I didn’t understand. I glanced at Alec confused. "I think he loves you Gracie, though he doesn’t realize it himself yet. I’ve seen it." Alec smiled softly. "He’s dreaming about you; I can tell. It'd be best if you just stayed put."

"You’re crazy." I scolded him softly, but my face was beginning to heat uncomfortably and butterflies seemed to erupt in my stomach; Alec only chuckled.

"We'll see who is “crazy” when you fall head over heels for each other and Emily and I will be laughing and singing “I told you so” all day long!" He declared. At the sound of my quiet laughter I swore I saw Cody smile briefly, before pulling me ever tighter against him, burying his face more thoroughly into the hair by my neck; I shivered at the contact, but made no move to leave. Alec watched us for a long moment before looking away, “Get some sleep Gracie. You’re in a good place right now."

Watching him, I yawned once more. I was still tired and I had a feeling I would sleep just fine here. Surrendering, I turned and snuggled closer so that my head was under his chin and buried my nose into his soft skin. My eyes drifted closed without further prompting.

Blinking at the sudden light that filled the room, I lifted my head from the sweet smelling pillow and looked around the room. Kaycie stood at the end of the bed her hands on her hips and grinning widely. "What?" I whispered confused.