Ch. 14, Tears and Facts

Nyx

Nyxeria was practically humming with happiness as she made her way down the road towards her home. She couldn't believe it had only been a few days since she had met Travis. Tonight was perfect. She could not imagine the world without him. Should she tell him? She wanted to tell him that he was dawn to her day, the stars to her night, and the passion to her heart. All cliché expressions, but somehow they worked. The idea that she was being childish never crossed her mind. She knew what she was doing: putting her heart on the line.

 The sun was beginning to set. The trees cast their shadows. The air was earthy from the damp ground. Her skipping steps were a contrast to the wind whipping around the foliage. Her perception was compromised by her state. She didn’t notice the car in her drive. Nor did she think much of Max's absent bark. She did take time to admire her house. It was her childhood haven, where she grew up and became the person she was today. She loved this house. She loved it because it was what she had left of her father and memories of a saner mother. Yet she felt strangely disconnected from it tonight. The fact that she loved her house was true, but her steadfast devotion to old memories was waning. The house was a house. A wonderful brilliant house, it was, but that is all it would be.

 Nyxeria opened the door. Max made his way over as she took in the room. Her mother sat with Becky on the couch. They were scrunched over a few magazines. Talking with rapid speed the two sounded tense. Across from them and facing the door was Bruce. He sat silently with his hands clasped tight. Her entrance startled him.

"Nyxi," He began, but was cut off by Mrs. Page.

 "Where have you been?"

 Nyxeria was shocked. Had something terrible happened? "Nowhere, I was just with Travis." She rushed to her mother's side. "Is everything ok? What is wrong?"

 Mrs. Page then began to weep. "How could you do this to me?"

 "Mom? What did I do?" She pulled her mother tight. Surely her mother was having some sort of fit, she thought to herself, and what were Bruce and Becky doing here? What had they done now?

 "Oh how the neighbors will talk. Our reputation scrutinized! And you were so happy... Oh honey. I'm so sorry. I should have protected you better." Her mother continued to bawl incoherently on her shoulder.

 Nyxeria looked towards Becky for answers. "Nyx. Take a look at these papers." Becky handed her the articles they were discussing when Nyxeria walked in. She didn't think much of them. They were celebrity gossip columns. On a normal day she couldn't care less. One had a picture of a man that looked familiar. She had trouble putting her finger on it. It could be. She took a second glance. The man in the picture could have been Travis' twin. They looked very much alike. This had to be all in her head.

 "What am I supposed to be looking at?" Nyxeria asked.

 Bruce was the first to reply, "That son of a bitch that is using you."

 Nyxeria's jaw dropped. "So that is why you are here. Not for anyone's concern but your own. It is clear that you don't like Travis, but you've gone too far. I can't believe you'd come to my house to accost me and upset my mother and poison her mind towards the decisions I make. Because the decisions I make are somehow wrong?"

 "So you knew?" Becky asked.

 "Knew what?" Nyxeria bristled.

 "You're dating a celebrity. I mean that is super cool and all but…" Becky said this like it was everyone's deepest dream. Like Nyxeria had accomplished something that merited awe. Yet her mother was acting like it was a nightmare. To Nyxeria it all had nothing to do with her or her relationship. Nyxeria had never been so disgusted by all of them. How could they think Travis to be so one dimensional, Nyxeria thought.

 "I can't believe you just said that. How could you even think that I would give a damn about such things?"

 Mrs. Page had composed herself enough to add to the conversation, "Honey, I know you don't care about those sort of things, but other people do."

 Bruce stood up and began pacing, "Nyxi, He doesn't give a crap about you. You're a nobody, going nowhere, from a nowhere town. He is going to leave you in pieces and not going to even look back."

 "Oh shut up, Bruce. And call me Nyxi one more time and I’ll lose it."

 "Nyx. He is right," Becky was careful to talk slow and steady, "I mean we joked about this being a one night stand sort of thing, but we can see it in your face. He is going to hurt you. We care about you. Don't see him again."

 "I can't promise that." She didn’t know if she was capable of letting him go.

 "Nyxeria Page, it is time to grow up and do the reasonable thing before it is too late. Don't let this one misstep follow you the rest of your life."

 Nyxeria took a close look at the articles to make sure it really was Travis. How could she not even done basic research on a guy she was seeing? She hadn’t even asked for his last name. She had to acknowledge that they were right. In the end it didn't matter what she felt for Travis or even what he felt for her. They were of different worlds. There were different expectations of their lives which neither was capable of giving each other.

 The four of them sat in silence. Mrs. Page silently wept. Bruce paced the floor. Becky played with her hands. Nyxeria understood what she had to do.

 "I think it is time for everyone to leave now. I need to talk to Travis."