Ch. 10, Choices

Nyx

It had been a perfectly grand day. Then he had ruined it. Bruce, or as Mrs. Page preferred to call him Mr. Muscles, had shown up. Nyxeria had the tendency to track Bruce's habits in order to avoid him. He was a recent ex-boyfriend. She had taken comfort in his unwarranted devotion when her father had past. It ended quickly as it started. He saw a nice boy, so she tried hard to spare his feelings. Bruce never gave up on the notion that she'd return to him. Nyxeria wondered if he was too slow to understand her dislike for him or if he refused to acknowledge it. Either way Bruce was one nuisance Nyxeria did not want to deal with at the moment.

 She was in the arms of another man. Both of their clothes were soaking wet. She hid her embarrassment by nuzzling into Travis' chest. Travis took the cue. He wrapped her in a hug then swept her up. Carrying her to the sand, they made their way over to Bruce.

 "Hello, I am Travis. I just moved into the neighborhood," he said without setting Nyxeria down. "And this sea goddess is my girlfriend, Nyxeria. I assume you two know each other." It was only then that Travis set her down but kept a firm grip around her waist.

 Did he really just call her his girlfriend? In the past she'd be furious at the assumption. When Travis said the words, it felt so right. Could she actually be falling for him so fast? They had only been dating for barely a day. No, Nyxeria had simply gone insane, totally bonkers. She liked it.

 "Hi Nyxi," Bruce greeted her with raised eyebrows. She hadn't realized she has been staring at Travis while biting the inside if her cheek. Nyxeria hated it when Bruce called her Nyxi. In the past she had hinted at the dislike of the nickname. The concept went over his head.

 "Hi Bruce, so what brings you out today?" If she didn't shove her relationship in his face perhaps Bruce wouldn't be too hurt by it.

 "Working." Puffing up his chest and sizing Travis up, he directed his next statement towards him, "U.S. Coast Guard. Protecting civilians. Rip tides are on code red. We are keeping people out of the water. That was not a good idea to become wet. Hypothermia is no joke." Bruce went on reciting the dangers of hypothermia. Travis and Nyx smirked at each other. They were trying to keep their laughter under check.

 Travis finally wore down and interrupted him, "Thank-you but, I think we ways of warming ourselves up." He squeezed Nyxeria's hip as he said his sexual innuendo. Bruce's face got beat red as Nyxeria merely blushed. Travis was unaffected besides a permanent smirk on his face.

 After a moment of awkward silence, Travis turned away taking Nyxeria with him, "Well we'll be going. Have a nice day, man."

 Bruce hadn't move until the couple were several yards away. "You can do better than him, Nyxi," Bruce shouted after her.

 She looked back only to say, "Sorry but that is none of your business."

 Nyxeria didn't look back after that. She assumed he'd go away. Travis still had a look on his face showing his amusement at the situation.

 "Ex?" he asked.

 "Yeah. They are hard to avoid in a small town. And it is not funny, you could have been nicer."

 "Darling, sometimes you have to be mean to be nice."

 "I guess. Doesn't suck any less."

 He kissed her forehead. "No it doesn't. I am sorry."

 She had almost forgotten about Max until he ran up to them with a stick. Travis let go of her to throw it for Max.

 "So dogs aren't that bad are they," she teased.

 "I suppose they are all not that bad or at least the good ones aren’t."

 "And I guess I am your girlfriend now?" Nyxeria accused him with a serious expression. He kissed the look off her face.

 "I guess you are." She kissed him back.

 "You know Bruce was right. Hypothermia is no laughing matter."

 "Lucky us. I have hot water working at my place. I put it in yesterday. And what do you know my house is right here."

 "Oh you think you are incredibly clever, sir?"

 "I know I am."

Shores of Truthजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें