Chapter Eighteen - Elliot

Start from the beginning

"I can handle it, I work with five-year-olds," I grinned. "They brutally denounce you frequently and loudly."

We did, unsurprisingly, get a lot of 'no, sod off' from various places. I did understand; if everyone was allowed to put all their flyers in every business, they'd be snowed under. In the end, we did manage a decent spread in businesses near campus where students might frequent, and we were also allowed to post them around campus. We even got some interest from staff members who were students themselves.

"So," Tyler said, as we walked back in the direction of his car. "Did you find out if you could rearrange things for tomorrow?"

"Yes," I replied, despite having not currently rearranged things for Tuesday. I'd make it work. I'd beg Rowan to help.

"I'll come by at seven," he said. "Okay?"

"Okay," I confirmed, and walked back to his car with a spring in my step that couldn't be repressed for the following day.

*****

On Tuesday, I practically waltzed through the day, the clock going painfully slowly as I supervised the kids having fun and then taking them through phonics and reading aloud to them. When class got out, I practically raced out and made my way home, giddy with excitement. Pumpkin was disgruntled by my cheerful kisses, and Latte hid almost immediately, but Spice lapped up the attention like it was her going on the date.

"Okay, how do I look?" I asked the three of them when I was finished. I'd selected a shirt in a deep blue that Rowan had gotten me, and a soft grey jumper over it.

Pumpkin grunted. Spice meowed. Latte pretended she hadn't seen me. It would do.

Tyler arrived bang on seven, and I flung the door open without bothering to pretend I was calm and collected. I beamed at him with the full force of my happiness at being given the opportunity to go on a date with him, and he smiled back shyly.

"Hi," he said, and then held out a box. "For you."

I looked to see he had picked up a selection of cat treats that I'd mentioned the cats really liking. That was so much better than flowers. "Thank you," I said, making sure to secure said treats away in a drawer so the cats didn't rip it open and devour twice their body weight in salmon crunchies. "You're so sweet."

Tyler blushed his lovely blush, and I delighted in taking his hand after I locked my front door, watching the tips of his ears even redden slightly. "You look lovely," he told me, having tried to sneakily eye me up when he thought I wasn't looking.

"So do you," I replied, because it was true. "I didn't ask, when we were doing the flyers - but how was the rest of your weekend? Without Saskie, I mean."

Tyler considered it, and replied, "Better than I'd thought. I got some painting done, and it was kind of a relief to just be by myself for a bit. Saskie had a good time, too."

"She seems happy at school," I nodded. Saskie had been knackered on Monday morning, but had slowly gained in energy over the last couple of days. "If a bit tired."

"She practically rips my arm out the socket to get to you on a morning," Tyler snorted, and then smiled shyly at me. "She's happy. That you're my 'special friend', as I believe Sorcha nauseatingly worded it over breakfast today." He then hesitated. "I did tell her not to mention anything at school unless you said it was okay."

I nodded. "Thanks. I thought I'd talk to Ros in a couple of weeks, if that's okay? I don't want to tell her something just started, because she'll be less likely to view it as a long-term thing."