Chapter Fourteen - Elliot

Okay but like, I physically cannot cope with Tylliot, they're too cute. They're my fluffiest couple for sure.

Love, Cam

Chapter Fourteen

I knew exactly what my sister was doing. I just hoped that Tyler hadn't cottoned on.

"Stop it," I ordered her on the second day of painting, brandishing a paint roller at her after making sure Tyler wasn't in earshot. "Do not piss about with this, Rowan. He's only recently moved here, he's just become a single parent, and he's going through the process of a divorce. Leave. It. Alone."

Rowan sighed heavily. "Fine. You make a good point. I'll stop any direct interference."

I frowned. "That sounds like you're exploiting a loophole somehow."

"It's not my fault if you keep flirting with him," she shrugged.

"I am not flirting!" I hissed through my teeth, and I wasn't sure if that was a lie or not. I'd been nice, and I'd tried to be funny, and honestly I had no idea if I had ever flirted with someone before because it had been so long since I'd communicated with a man in real life, not a dating app.

Just then, Saskie came zooming into the gallery clutching seven huge paintbrushes. She giggled as she ran, practically dropping every single one before finally presenting the last one to me. "Here you go!" she said. "Paintbrush!"

While my heart recovered from how adorable that was, Rowan picked up the other paintbrushes and grinned at Saskie. "Good job, Sask!"

Rowan had tasked me, Tyler, and Saskie to start a third and final layer of paint on one of the non-window walls - mostly because it was a big space in which we couldn't really mess up. Saskie, determined to help out, had a small roller and paint tray to herself, and Adam had talked her through how to use it without splashing paint everywhere. Tyler and I, dressed in beautifully unflattering coveralls, were working on larger sections of it together.

"Oh, God," Tyler muttered under his breath as his phone started to buzz. "Uh, Sask, it's your dad. I totally forgot he was calling earlier today."

"Daddy!" Saskie cheerfully said, dropping the roller almost immediately and rushing up to Tyler. "Let's show him the gallery!"

I had absolutely no intention of spying on Tyler's former husband, or stalking him on Facebook as Rowan had attempted to do. I did, however, not intend to let a golden opportunity pass when it arose. After all, Rowan and I did share the gossip gene.

"Hi, Colin," Tyler said, after answering the video call.

I was perfectly stationed to see Tyler's ex-husband-to-be. He was attractive, with a warm smile, and he sounded genuinely thrilled to be talking to his daughter. That was nice, and I could see how much of an impact it had on Saskie. She was practically floating on air.

"Who's that in the background?" Colin asked curiously.

"Oh, this is Elliot," Tyler angled the camera at me, and I waved awkwardly. "He's Saskie's teacher - and our decorator's brother. He got roped into helping out."

"Mr Rose is great!" Saskie piped up, which made me very happy.

Tyler then angled the camera to get the rest of the crew in. "As you can see, we are making excellent progress. That's Sorcha in the super ugly blue coveralls-"

"Hey!"

"-and you can see our genius decorators, Rowan and Adam, along with the rest of the crew."

"And about four hundred doughnuts," Colin laughed, the sound bright. I was completely taken-aback; Tyler had talked about how they maintained civility for the sake of Saskie, but this went beyond my expectations. I'd witnessed divorced parents being as friendly as they could, but it was often forced and uncomfortable. This seemed like a healthy and friendly connection between two people who knew each other well.