ı 23 ı Deal with the Devil

Start from the beginning

∆ ∆ ∆

Just about everyone sleeps in the college tonight, even my brothers. Everyone is in separate rooms, wasting time until the sun rises. I on the other hand am in the midst of doing my own plan, one the doesn't involve everybody else.

I silently crawl out from the bed James and I share in some random dorm room and step out into the hall. I close the door and pull out the steak knife I hid in my pocket. With steady hands I carved into my skin, praying Kai is be awake to feel the pain. I carve several words, a sentence describing my own plan.

It reads: 'MEET AT ROAD. SAFER. WILL GIVE U WHAT U WANT ALONE'

I await his response, my heart pounding out of my chest. It's beating so hard against my ribs I fear others will hear, especially James. He's never a deep sleeper.

I'm drawn out of my thoughts as a single word appears on my skin: OK.

Kai has agreed to my plan. 

Deep down I know our old plan wouldn't work, as Kai would no doubt step out from the border and hurt us all. He has an advantage with his magic and we can't rely on the fact he will stay behind the border. It's too risky. This way he will get what he wants while I get Theo back. It's a win for me, but unfortunately not for Alaric and Jo.

With light steps I make my way to Alaric's office, creaking open the door to find him sound asleep on the couch in the corner. Jo isn't here, meaning she must be sleeping in another dorm.

I close the door and tip-toe over to Alaric, kneeling down beside him and shaking him lightly. His eyes flutter open, as I press my hand against his mouth to prevent any sounds from escaping him. His body relaxes as he realizes who I am, but before he has a chance to question me I stare him in the eyes. "Give me the knife and ascendent," I compel him.

I know what I'm doing is wrong, but I need to do this for Theo, for James, and for me. For once I need to do this one thing for me. I've lost too much, and I refuse to loose Theo over some stupid knife and ascendent. I know it'll hurt Jo, but if we're lucky we'll lock Kai up before he has a chance to ruin it.

Alaric immediately springs up and heads to his desk, unlocking some secret compartment hidden within the wooden desk. He pulls out a locked box, using a key to unlock it revealing the two treasured items inside. He hands them over to me willingly and I take them with ease.

"Go back to sleep. You won't remember any of this in the morning," I compel him, before silently leaving the room.

I creep down the hall with the items held close to my body, silently watching James through the crack of the door. I smile at him sleeping peacefully, hoping that in some way the happiness he gives me will weight out this enormous guilt stitched to my heart.

I know this is something Damon would do, so I use that as an excuse to give me enough strength to continue with my plan.

∆ ∆ ∆

I leave extra early before anyone else wakes up. I make sure to cover my tracks, making it so it's impossible to tell where I've gone. Instead I leave James a note, explaining my absence. I don't say where I've gone, just that I'm okay. I know it's not fair of me to do, but this needs to be done. I don't think anyone would approve of me making a deal with the devil anyways.

I now stand at the road leading into Mystic Falls, careful not to step inside the border. I pace back and forth across the width of the road, waiting patiently for Kai to show. I glance at my phone, the numbers reading 8 o'clock. By now everyone else is at the cemetery, expecting to meet Kai there.