'Hey, what happened to Phil?' I asked a fellow employee.

'I don't know. Didn't show up this morning so he gave the job to this clown.' He said, motioning at the new kid. 'He's kinda weird. More than happy to take a nothing job like that. If you ask me, those types of people can't be trusted.'

I frowned at his stupid comment and went about my shift.

'Here's the deal,' My boss started at the new guy. 'You wash dishes, mop the floor, take out the trash, other wise you're deaf dumb and blind.'

A bit harsh in my opinion, especially to a fragile kid like that. The new guy's eyes flashed to mine for a split second before responding. I quickly turned my head so I didn't looked like I was listening in on their conversation.

'I understand - '

'No, you don't. But you will. This ain't like other places and you'll either get it ... '

'Or I'll be fired.'

'You could say that.'

I scoffed at myself, knowing perfectly well what he meant. The restaurant I worked at wasn't exactly all it seemed on the outside. More than just Italian food, Bamonte's was known in the underground as a face for business, and not all that legal business. I went out of my way not to get roped in on any of it, or overhear anything between boss's.

'Oh you have nothing to worry about. I know that this is a great opportunity.'

'Don Maroni!' The boss interrupted, leaving him to greet our new customer.

I sighed at the sight of him. I never liked serving this man. Glancing back at the new kid, who I still didn't have a name to put with the face, he looked like he saw a ghost. He mumbled something under his breath as he stared at our boss and Maroni greeting each other in a very Italian greeting.

'Need a hand?' I asked as the new kid was trying to plate as many dirty dishes from the bar as possible.

He looked at me with an expression that said he was surprised someone was talking to him. 'No, I'm quite alright, thank you.' He said with a sincere smile.

I couldn't quite place it, but something about the way he walked was familiar. 'I'm Raven, by the way,' I smiled with an outstretched hand across. He grinned wide, taking my warm hand in his cold one.

'Paolo. It's nice to meet you.'

'You too. Hey, you wouldn't happen to know what happened to Phil, would you?'

He snapped his gaze back at me, his face dropped. 'Who?'

'Phil, the guy that had your job before you. He was here yesterday. Do you know what happened?'

'Wouldn't have a clue, sorry.' he stated with a small smile, heading back into the kitchen.

The rest of the day, Paolo and I managed to make small talk every now and then, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew him from somewhere. He was nice enough, but over the years, I had learned to trust my gut instincts.

A couple hours left until I was free, I was keeping a close eye on the clock. Paolo was picking up dirty cups at the bar while I prepared a couple drinks some customers had ordered, when I noticed a nearby conversation had peaked his interest. Following his gaze, he was listening in on Maroni talking about the reconstruction of Arkham Asylum, I assumed.

'I'm wasting my breath, you're an idiot. Get outta here.' He ordered the silent man he was talking to, who didn't appear to be the least bit interested in what he was talking about. 'Who the hell are you?' He snapped at Paolo before he could make haste back to the kitchen.

Turning my gaze away like I hadn't heard a word, Paolo stuttered as he said, 'I'm sorry sir, I'm - '

'Hold on. Put that down. You were listening, huh? You're new. What's your name?'

'Paolo, sir.'

'Italian,' Maroni frowned. 'You don't look Italian.'

'Well on my mothers side. It's the side that I claim.' Paolo smiled.

'A boy who loves his mother,' he grinned, seeming to take an instant liking to Paolo. Taking out a wad of cash, he handed him a few notes and said, 'Here ya go. I was a lot like you. Started from nothing! But I kept my head down, I worked hard, and now look at me. Gotham is the city of opportunity!'

'Yes, sir. I believe that too!' Paolo replied.

'You hear what I was saying back there? Those names? Falcone? Arkham? They mean anything to you?'

'Honestly, sir, I didn't hear anything at all.'

'That a boy!' He laughed before turning his attention to the TV which was fixed on a news channel reporting a live update on a screaming priest tied to a rapidly ascending helium balloon. 'See this ... this is not good. Can't go around killing priests,' He commented, blessing himself from head to heart. 'At least not in public,' He laughed, making my stomach churn as Paolo politely snickered back. 'Go take care of your mother, Paolo.'

And with that, Paolo scuttled off back to the kitchen, leaving me to wonder if that kind of man was Paolo's kind of company. I hoped not.