Part One - Chlordane

The city stood in darkness as I wandered down the familiar streets back to my apartment. Being a teenaged orphan had plenty of downfalls but at least there wasn't anyone around to tell me what to do; or what not to do. As I made my way down past 51 E. Broadway, an old woman dropped her groceries on the ground, gathering little attention. What caught my eye was a girl, not that much younger than me, pick up a pint of milk while no one was looking and stuff it inside her leather jacket.

I had to smirk, I couldn't help it, as she continued her way down the street when a man yelled out to her, claiming she had stolen his wallet. Wow, I had to give her props, she was really working the street. I padded my pockets to check she hadn't taken something of mine, but nothing seemed to be missing. The girl took off as the man followed, but I knew he wasn't going to catch her as she jumped up onto a fire escape. My smile grew as I watched her; this was the funniest thing I had seen all week.

Slamming my front door behind me, I dropped everything on my kitchen counter in a messy heap. Stress of every day life was getting to me, and I hated it. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Why was life treating me like this? More importantly, why was I putting up with this? Life was a grind, it was like banging my head against a brick wall and having someone pay me to do it.

Sighing, I stared at myself in my bathroom mirror. I frowned, hating what I saw looking back at me. The tiny sound of a bugs legs reached my ears, and I sneered at my reflection. Too many mouths to feed in this crappy little apartment, and not enough death. Grabbing my keys, I headed to the Gotham City Police Department.

With the Police Department in sight, I put on my fake security badge and a walk that said I was there on official police business. Some of the guys there knew me, and never had a second thought about me. It was too easy, stealing from the police in this city, but I do plan to give back what I take ... eventually.

Walking through the front doors without a word, I looked like background noise to the cops. I had been in here a few times, only on one side of the bars. Smirking at the half drunked idiots locked up meer feet away from working desk cops, I made my way to the back where they kept evidence, and confiscated items and weapons.

As per usual, the place smelt like stale donuts and cheap coffee. Typical. Giving quick grins to employees passing by, I picked up a keycard from a desk nearby and opened the door to the evidence like I had business in there. The things I had gotten away with because I knew how to act like I was supposed to be there was incredible.

Screaming could be heard down the hall, and I knew something had gone down in the main room, but I was there for one reason. Closing the door behind me, I got to work searching the shelves for something strong enough, something that even a cockroach wouldn't be able to survive in.

Not even ten second later, the door cracked open and my heart stopped for a moment. I straightened and tried to quickly think for an excuse, in case they would ask me what I was doing.

'Oh, it's you again,' he said, standing tall and crossing his arms over him lab coat.

'Hey, Mr Nigma,' I sighed with a smile, my racing heart slowing down. 'You scared me.'

'You know you're not supposed to be in here.' He said, curtly.

'I know,' I said as I pursed my lips, continuing to scan through the evidence. 'I'm just looking for something strong. I'll bring it back when I'm done. You know I'm good for it.'

He huffed and said, 'I thought I told you not to come back. You know I could get into a lot of trouble by letting you go.'

'Oh, hush, Ed, these cops are dumb; they're never gonna put two and two together. You know that.' I grinned with a wink.

'That may be fact, but you know it's still wrong to come in here and - '

'Ed, calm down!' I interrupted, holding a bag of half used Chlordane. 'If anything happens, I'll make sure not to mention that you ever saw me come in here, let alone helped me get rid of a stalker I once had.' I grinned, pinching his cheek. 'Which I'm still thankful for. Never did see him again, thanks to you!'

'You're welcome,' Nigma huffed again as I made my way passed him. 'And what are you planning on doing with that, missy? Those are illegal chemicals that could hurt you!' He barked, staying close by me as I threw the stolen keycard back on the desk I found it on.

'I had a little problem at my apartment,' I stated, headed towards the exit. 'It was really driving me up the wall.'

Mr Nigma blocked my path to the door and glared down at me, and I pounted up at him. 'You're only a teenager, and what would you know about what you're holding? It was banned for a reason.'

'Yeah; it works too well!' I smirked, trying to get by him but he wasn't having any of my antics today.

'I will not stand by and let you get hurt,' he demanded, snatching the Chlordane from me. 'You will not come back here again, and if you do ... '

I raised my eyebrows, waiting for him to finish. 'And?'

'What's black and blue, and red all over?' He practically sang, making me want to punch him.

I rolled my eyes. 'Enough with the riddles, I'm so sick of them!'

'You, dead.' He stated, his giddy grin replaced with a look of dead seriousness.

'What are you saying? You gonna kill me if I come back?' I joked, trying to take the Chlordane back from him.

'If that's what it takes,' he stated. 'I know how strong willed you are, or should I say stubborn!'

'But Eddy-boo, I thought that's what you loved about me!' I feigned a pout, grabbing his lab coat in my fists and looking up at him with big eyes. 'I need my Chlordane, other wise I won't be able to ... oh fine, how about I set off a grenade in my apartment. Would that be better?'

Eddy frowned, which made me smile.

'You know,' I said. 'I'm not the only one that's stubborn, Eddy. How about you come by and do it for me, if you're so worried about me burning my face off?'

I walked off, knowing he wouldn't be giving it back to me, and tried to think of another solution. Supermarket crap didn't do shit, and my whole building needed to be cleansed the old fashioned way; with illegal chemicals. In fact, this whole city did.

'There's a new kid on the payroll,' Eddy called out to me, I stopped. 'He's good. I don't want him throwing you behind bars.'

I turned around and gave him an innocent grin. 'You know better than anyone, Ed; I can take care of myself.'