Chapter Twenty-Five

It took me over an hour to fill out all the papers. I found out a few of them needed my Mum's signature on them too considering I'm under the age of eighteen and still a minor. I called Mum and she said she can quickly come by to sign them in about twenty minutes because work isn't too busy today.

I sit and wait for her to arrive, filling out the rest of what I can. Chris and Ingrid left about ten minutes ago to go grab some food. They should be back before my Mum.

I sit in the plastic chair, my legs starting to numb and my mind beginning to wonder. My thoughts drift from filling out papers about why I want this. Who it is. When, why, how.

It's all starting to stress me out a bit. People hustle by me, papers flying in their hands, busy looks on their face. They lady at the desk never looks away from her computer. That must be a pretty boring job on quiet days.

The officers on the other hand, have been rushing by me. An older lady sitting a few seats down from me looks at her phone. Her eyes squint at the screen, her mouth pursed in concentration. Aged lines are etched into her face, around her eyes and mouth mostly, probably from pulling the face she is now.

Grey hairs thread through her mousy brown hair, winding into a braid. I drag my eyes away from her, trying to not stare for long. It's hard to keep myself occupied when Chris isn't here.

Boredom itches at my body, making me jittery and fiddly. Every time the door opens or I hear footsteps outside, I bounce in my seat to see who it is. Although every time it isn't Chris or my Mum, disappointment pangs at my heart.

My eyes constantly watch the clock on the desk, the numbers changing ever so slowly. I don't like sitting in this place alone, it brings back too many memories. What a coincidence that I'm back again because of the same people.

The door glides open and my eyes shoot across to look at who it is. Standing in the door way, in all their glory, is the reason I'm here. Mr Bane.

His eyes lock on me and a scowl pulls at his lips. He walks past me, his legs brushing mine. He disappears around the corner and my shoulders tense up.

My senses are alert, waiting for him to charge me again. My stay locked on the corner he wound around, as if he's going to appear when I'm not paying attention.

The sound of the door opening grabs my attention again and Chris is walking towards me with a tray of drinks and a bag of food balanced in his arms.

I jump up from chair and take the drinks from him so he can grab the food with two hands. He grins at me and takes his seat again. A minute later Ingrid walks through the door and sits next to Chris.

I lean across to Chris so that only he can hear me. "Mr Bane is here,"

He pulls away from me and looks me in the eyes. "What? Now?"

I nod, and point subtly in the direction he went. Chris just watches the corner for a moment scrutinizing the situation.

He looks back at me and gives me a small nod and shuffles closer to me. He grabs his drink and takes a long sip. I bend down and grab mine too.

The sweet taste of iced coffee erupts on my tongue. I sigh in content and lean into Chris.

Soon enough my Mum arrives and I show her where she has to sign on the sheets. It takes three minutes' tops and then we can leave the stupid place.

"I finished the paperwork." I say to get the receptionists attention. 

She drags her eyes over to me, annoyance present in them. I hand them over to her. She snatches them from my grip and shoves them into a folder.