Chapter Nine

I wake up on Monday morning in a happy mood. I throw my covers off my body and skip down the stairs in my pyjamas.

Mum has gone back to work this week but I think she is going to start taking more time off work to stay at home with Michael. That's actually really relieving because it's tiring looking after your six year old brother all the time.

When into the kitchen I decide to cook some bacon and eggs. As I turn around with two plates in my hands, Michael is standing in front of me with his toy dinosaur in his arms.

"Morning Bud. You want some breakfast?"

He nods eagerly and climbs onto his chair. I place the plate in front of him but before I can hand him a fork, he has already shoved bacon into his mouth with his little fingers. I laugh and place the fork next to his plate anyway.

I sit down with my plate and slide a glass of orange juice over for Michael. I'm in a rather happy mood for a Monday. Hopefully nothing ruins it.

After Michael and I finish breakfast, we both race up the stairs to get changed. I walk into my room and shut the door slightly before skipping over to my closet.

I pull out a pair of my black skinny jeans and slip on a white shirt and a red and black flannel over the top. I leave the flannel unbuttoned and then slip on my white converse.

When I've finished getting changed, I grab my backpack and meet my brother at his door. I take his lunch box and mine before walking into the kitchen.

I spread some butter and vegemite on two sandwiches and cut them in half. I put them in some baggies and place one in Michael's lunch box and the other in mine. Then I get some apples, granola bars and a cookie.

I walk back out to the living room, where Michael is watching Playschool. I shove the lunchboxes into the bags and zip them up.

"Come on Mikey! Time to go," I call from the front door.

He jumps off the couch and switches the television off. I feed his arms through the straps of the bag and then swing my bag over my shoulder.

After I lock the door we start our walk to school. Michael's little hand is secured in mine as we cross the road to get to the day care.

We walk together until we're standing out the front of his classroom. I watch him place his bag in his little box and he runs off to play with the other kids. I smile and turn, to continue my way to school.

Once I get there, Jess and Hannah are waiting at my locker for me.

"Hey guys," I call, with a small wave.

"Hey!" Jess replies.

"We have gossip!" Hannah says.

"Ooh! Gossip," I laugh as I tug my locker open.

"Well, when I was in a toilet stall some girls walked in. Guess who! Madison and Nicole!"

I just nod, allowing her to proceed.

"Apparently, according to Nicole..."

"What? Just tell me!"

"Chris likes you!" she squeals.

I don't. My jaw drops and I feel like throwing up.

"What? No. That must be a mistake. Chris can't like me," I laugh awkwardly.

Jess just pouts. "Why not?"

"Because we're hardly friends, he can't like me. Not yet anyway. Plus, he probably likes Madison or Nicole or someone like that,"