Chapter Five

Today I was going to try my best to blend into the crowd. When I got out of bed I threw my hair into a simple bun and tugged on some black sweats and a grey shirt with the Nike logo across the front. I also pulled some Nike joggers on my feet instead of my usual black converse.

Right now I'm packing my bag for school. I'm ready to leave a lot earlier than I usually am because I didn't need to worry about clothes, hair and makeup.

I sat down to eat breakfast today. Mum made Michael and I some pancakes. It's not going to be the same when she goes back to work. Michael will have to start going to day care and I'll have to start cooking and looking after him again.

I shovel big forkfuls of pancake into my mouth. My mother just looks at me and chuckles. I smile sheepishly and shove another bit into my mouth.

A knock at the door alarms me. I jump out of my seat and run around the kitchen.

"What are you doing Allie?" my mother asks, raising an eyebrow.

"If that's Chris at the door, tell him I've already left for school," I run into the lounge room and dive behind the couch.

My mother rolls her eyes and opens the door. She's speaking to someone. I bend over the couch a little, trying to get a glimpse of who's at the door.

I can't seem to see their face though. I lean a little further, until my knees give out and I topple over the couch, landing in a pile on the floor.

A woman leans in the house to look at me. I think she's a little weirded out to be honest. She gives me an awkward smile as I pick myself off the ground.

The woman waves a quick good bye to my mother and leaves. Once the door is shut my mum slaps her face and shakes her head.

"That was my boss," she sighs. "Luckily, she thought you, pretty much falling on your face, was amusing,"

I give my mother a guilty smile and she shakes her head laughing. "What am I going to do with you?"

I just shrug and grab my bag from the doorway.

"I'm off mum. See you this afternoon," I holler, walking out of the doorway.

"Okay sweetie,"

The walk to school is a lot shorter than usual, mainly because I'm pretty much jogging, hoping to God that Chris doesn't pop out somewhere.

When I walk in the school gates, I go straight to my locker and then to homeroom. I'm not taking any chances.

Too bad he's in some of my classes. I only have one class with him today, so hopefully I will be able to avoid him. I could sit on the other side of the classroom or something.

I was so distracted trying to think of ways to avoid him that I missed my name being called for attendance and I was the last one out of homeroom.

I made my way to History but by the time I got there most of the class was already seated. Chris was sitting toward the back.

I walked to a spare seat in the second row. I could feel Chris's eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. I tried by best to ignore it. As I was about to turn around to look at him, the teacher swept into the room.

The class started from then and I completely forgot about Chris. The teacher announced that we'll be doing an assignment with partners.

I internally groan when everyone starts picking their friends because I don't have any friends in my class.