Chapter 20 | Hugo

Chapter 20

November 13, 2104

Hugo practically ran back to the mall after seeing the brilliantly red-coloured dragon. He was excited for what felt like the first time in a long time. Not even his last round of brawls at the No-Man's Market could compare to the excitement he felt now.

Dragons, he thought as he ran. Real harking dragons, all for his taking now that he knew where they'd be.

Hugo stopped.

He didn't actually know where the dragons would be, however. He knew of the haven, but that was it. Suddenly, Hugo had an idea.

He made his way to the room that had become Thane's quarters -- one of the only places in the mall that didn't have part of the ceiling caved in. It also had a door, which was an added bonus.

"Thane," Hugo addressed the young man sitting on the crate, seemingly deep in thought. Thane looked up and assessed Hugo with stony grey eyes. He stood up.

"What is it?" Thane asked, taking in Hugo's expression. He was grinning wickedly.

"I have some information that may interest you."
"Can it wait? I'm busy."

"Doing what?" Hugo scoffed, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. "It's about the dragons."

Thane slid his gaze from a shelf on the wall to Hugo's face, a lion sizing up his prey. "Everything is about the dragons," he said.

Hugo continued as though Thane hadn't said anything. "Ember told me about this thing -- a haven, I think she called it -- where dragons live. Hundreds of dragons live at this place--" Thane appeared interested at this, raising an eyebrow in questioning. "--And they can all be ours." Hugo opened his palms toward Thane, and waited as the blond considered his words.

"How do you know that such a place exists?" he asked. "How do you know the loner's not lying to you?"

Hugo grinned, displaying perfectly whitened teeth. "Ember trusts me. So unless her sister is spouting tales, I'm certain that this is real."

"What's this about her sister?" Thane asked, his expression contorting. "Has Ember actually seen this haven?"

"Well, no, but--"

Thane growled, "I want you to find me proof, real, hard proof that this haven exists, and that these girls are fraternizing with dragons, then come back to me."

Hugo sighed and straightened, trying hard to contain his anger. "Yes, Thane." And, stepping out of Thane's quarters, Hugo began to walk in the direction of the forest, where the girl and her dragon would be.