Chapter 15 | Ember

Chapter 15
November 10, 2104

"Hurry up, ya dog scarfs!" the red-haired woman with dreads yelled. "If we don't scavenge these things by sundown we'll be dragon grub."

Ember sneered, her teeth chattering from the biting wind and her limbs stiff from the cold. If the woman didn't stop yelling at them, Ember thought she might strangle her with her own dreads.

Ember turned back to the pile of rubbish she was sifting through, her hands numb as she pushed aside a rusted car cap and what looked like a fire hose. They had been scavenging for hours now, the red-haired woman forcing she and the other gang members from rubbish heap to rubbish heap until Ember's back hurt from the objects strapped to it and her anger had grown inside her like an inferno.

Ember kicked aside a broken lamp, instantly regretting it as pain coursed through her wounded leg and the force of her kick sent lamp shards flying across the ground. Normally, Ember would have picked up the pieces because they could have made something useful, like a bead or a decoration for a clay pot to trade. But the gang wanted none of that. Every pretty or interesting item Ember had found had been thrown aside by the red-haired woman, pronounced useless and foolish. Ember's anger grew each time.

Another gust of wind whipped past Ember, so strong she had to brace herself against the ground. Ember looked to the side as she picked up a rusted bike tire. She could see Eliza rummaging in a pile close by; her sister's lips were pale and the paint around her eyes was smudged, but she didn't look unhappy. She seemed unbothered, almost calm and at peace, like something good had happened.

Ember felt her gut tighten as she thought of Eliza and Pierce together, and guilt and anger flooded through her veins. She still hadn't forgiven Eliza. Ember couldn't understand how her sister could even stand to be near that monster. Pierce had killed their father -- Eliza couldn't possibly forget that these gang crussers were their enemies. Then the memory of Hugo's body against her's surfaced, making her cheeks flush. Maybe they weren't all bad.

"What do ya got there, Loner?" The woman's voice cut through Ember's thoughts, she turned to face her, not bothering to hide the disgust twisting her expression.

The woman was stocky, with biceps as big as Ember's head and a scar running from her left eyebrow up to her hairline. She glowered at Ember, her face hard enough to scare the life out of a person, but Ember just bared her teeth.

Ember pulled two objects out of the sack tied to her back, thrusting them at the red-haired woman. She looked down with narrowed eyes, examining the dented lighter and jagged metal fan blade in Ember's palm.

"Very nice." The woman said, "But your work rate is slow, Loner. Pick up the pace or I'll have to give ya a reason to start moving, myself."

Ember bit her tongue, watching the woman as she turned away. Harking gang scum. They had no right to tell her what to do, no right.

The instinct Ember had first felt when they had been captured came over her again. It was the urge to run.

Ember's senses sharpened as a plan began to form in her mind. They were in the perfect position to run -- Eliza was here, and they were away from the rest of the gang. They could make it, if they were smart.

Trying to act as normal as she could Ember walked toward Eliza, stowing the items with the others tied to her back as she did.

Ember shivered, hugging herself for warmth as she crouched down buy the rubbish heap next to Eliza, glancing behind at the woman as she did. She hadn't noticed.

"Hey," Ember said, not making eye contact as she pushed aside the remains of a teddy bear in the pile.

Eliza looked up -- she had dark circles under her eyes -- and Ember realized that this was the first time they had talked alone since their fight when their dad disappeared. The thought made Ember's stomach twist.