30; high speed train to the future

Start from the beginning

He giggled. He actually giggled.

"No, you'll be the one doing that when you're at graduation with me and carrying your degree certificate looking like the happiest fucker in the world."

"Doubt it." I snorted.

"Is that a yes to going to uni with me?'

I rolled my eyes and lay my head down his chest. I liked this position, because I could hear his heart pounding under my fingers. It sparked something in me, and I wasn't sure what exactly it was, but I felt like I was high. High on Ben. His aroma, and the vibrations that occur when he spoke, made me feel like we were frozen in time. Nothing could come between us, absolutely nothing, as long as we felt this way towards each other, we were indestructible.

With Ben around, I felt like I didn't need friends. I didn't need a social life, I didn't need family, and I most certainly didn't need a step mum that butts into my life. All I thrived for was Ben's company, and I hoped he felt the same way too. Especially since he's been so much more unsociable than ever before with his other friends. He may not have noticed this, but I have.

When I checked the clock again, it seemed that an hour passed like it was nothing. We hadn't been watching anything on the television, and we weren't talking much either. Ben was a man was very few words, and even being this emotionally close to him, didn't change anything.

Although the idea of starting university again was hanging above my head like a halo, I felt nothing but bliss. How I felt towards Ben was unwavering. He was looking out for me, and he didn't want me to just be sitting around for the rest of my life, not doing anything. If I'm being honest, I would be worried if he hadn't bought this topic of conversation up.

Wendy came by the doorway and knocked on it gently. "Dinner's in a half hour. Flynn, will you be eating too?"

"Sure," I smiled at her before going back to the comfortable position I had been in before, with my face buried in Ben's chest.

"Do you think we're moving too quickly?" I mumbled after she left, and a few minutes passed by in silence.

"I don't know." he replied, his voice low. "I'm quite content with this pace, we're just doing whatever we feel."

I nodded. "I still feel that we should go on an actual date."

He snorted.

"We could take turns? You can organise the first date, I'll organise the next?"

"Okay, but it has to be after the deadline for UCAS, (a/n: the university admissions system in England where you create an application.. etc.) and after you apply. It doesn't mean you have to have your mind completely set right now, but it's worth creating an application."

"Fine." I sighed. "You're more annoying than Karen."

Ben just sighed and put his fingers to his forehead. "You're still annoyed at her?"

"Well of course I am." I narrowed my eyes.

"Don't be." He mumbled. Just him saying that was making me feel completely in the forgiving mood. God, what's he done to me? It's like I'm hanging at every word he says. He could tell me to slap myself and I'd do it.

The truth was, it wasn't up to Ben to decide who I am mad at. Of course I'd be mad at Karen. She came crashing into my life all of a sudden; I was still healing from mum leaving us, and so was Dad.

Karen thinks it's okay to replace my mother. She's made friends with all the neighbours, and the grocers, and Ben's mothers, and all of my friends too.