Thirteen - Evil Blood

Peter

I was fairly disinterested in my sister's relationship with the Duke. That wasn't to say I didn't care for her welfare, or that I didn't vow to thrash him if he broke her heart. And yet she'd given me so little privacy when it came to my own courtship with Grace that I couldn't help but feel a little curious. So, after breakfast was finished, and Lottie hadn't returned, I made my excuses to Father and as I passed Alexander I told him I was out for a walk.

"Don't normally take morning walks, Peter," he said in reply.

"Neither does my sister, but it appears we are all on different schedules this morning," I said. "Please tell Mother I am in the garden if she asks after me."

All he did was nod, although I could see in his face that he had numerous questions.

Once I was outside, I crossed the lawn towards the garden round the eastern side of the house. It was breezy and fairly clear today, with sun and scudding clouds. Nice day for a walk, in my opinion. When I reached the hedgerow surrounding the pond in the center, I heard voices. I stopped in my tracks, listening hard. One was a man's deep voice, the other higher and female. I'd found them.

"You're absolutely sure, Your Grace?" Lottie said, sounding pained.

"He knew as soon as he saw my eyes, Lady Charlotte," answered the Duke, ashamed and a little sad. "I was both Elemental and the strange type of being that he was."

"But...he never managed to gain power, Your Grace. Surely that's–"

"My father was a brute, Lady Charlotte," said the Duke, interrupting. "He took advantage of many women. And when he could not have your mother, he went out and sought another, one with her power and her likeness. He forced her into his bed, and the result was me."

I inched closer, intrigued. Who could have done such a thing?

"What happened to her?" Lottie asked after a long silence.

"She fled while still carrying me, and gave birth to me in hiding. Then she pinned a note to my blanket, left me on a doorstep, and threw herself into the sea."

Lottie gasped, and I could imagine her covering her mouth. "Oh, God..."

"A tragic tale, is it not?" The Duke's voice was dry, humourless. "But that was the nature of the beast that was Huntley."

Huntley? I felt my knees go weak at the name. He was Benedict Huntley's son? How was that even possible?

"Does my mother know?" Lottie's words came out hoarse and weak, as if she was afraid to ask.

"Yes," said the Duke after another long silence. "She and your father, along with Lord and Lady Burnham, tried to persuade Lord Radford to not exile me. They wanted him to see that just because my father was a terrible man, and committed horrendous crimes against the Elemental race, I was not going to do the same. As you can see, they were not successful."

"Mama mentioned that Lord Radford always despised Huntley more than anyone else." Lottie sighed heavily. "He holds a grudge against him that is unshakeable."

"Indeed, he does. Any Elemental that lived through his reign of destruction and terror does. I suppose your parents must as well, because he targeted their families so viciously. But your mother has a good heart, a gentle soul, and believes there is such a thing as a second chance." I heard him kick at the ground, the pebbles clicking against each other. "I owe her a great debt. She rid the world of my father so I did not have to."

"Oh, Your Grace..." Lottie's voice caught, and I heard the tears in her voice. 

"He was of my blood, but he is not any father of mine," said the Duke bitterly. "It is better this way, that he did not know I existed. As far as I'm concerned, my only father is the Duke of Tonbridge before me."