Entry One {Christina}

4/6/17

  Market shopping is my favorite time of the week. Twelve o'clock every Thursday I am in the square moving between the isles holders, each pushing harder than the one before to unload their wares. Sure, many of the best things are long gone, but what I really wanted was the vegetables for my spring soup and of those there are plenty; turnips, swede, fat carrots and bunches of cilantro. I take the bruised eggplant and the black plantains that people are too stupid to snap up. I am only done shopping when my army surplus backpack is so heavy it threatens to pull me over and leave me stranded like a flipped turtle. But even then some fruit often catch my eye and I stumble out from the previous isle of new deals being heckled with more bags in my hands. 

I dropped my little sister off at school earlier, and trust me if she was here she would curse me for calling her little because she's anything but that these days. Things with mom had definitely settled down, she has a new full-time job, which is great but also not so great at the same time. She's never around anymore and I've been left in charge of Danielle, which is also why I've missed a few days in my journal this week....oops.

Anyways, I couldn't wait to make my soup for Dan, I knew she would love it because it's super healthy and lately she's been on a health kick.  I think it's about this girl she keeps babbling about, Laura, is it? Oh, who knows? But I think it's so cute that little Dani is in love and has her first crush. I even think that the girl's older sister works here.  

You know a lot has been different since dad left, for starters Mom is much happier it's like she's finally been set free from the added stress and complications and I couldn't be more grateful. Now Nick basically lives in our house and has really stepped up for Dani, just as if he have couldn't been any more perfect. I truly feel blessed to have him in my life. 

Right now I'm sitting at some table in the back of the store by the Deli department, I had bought a coffee and a sandwich. I had ordered a simple turkey and cheese sandwich but of course, the hooligans of the deli works couldn't get it right rewarding me with a ham sandwich instead. But I wasn't going to argue, rather I looked around taking in the environment. The store was gleaming inside and out, but it had the sterile, over air-conditioned feel of a commercially owned store. The uniforms of the assistants were immaculate and bright, but their smiles were pasted on and shallow. Their eyes had no warmth and they stood like well rehearsed would-be actors for an audition, and one of them was even sleeping by her cash register. While watching I noticed how one girl, she was very short in my opinion, was running around almost as if she was taking part in a race to please her boss, the complete opposite of McSnoozie pants. She must've been new here, but that was evident.

My phone started to go off and of course, I had to check it that instant. To no surprise it was Danielle. I read her messages as they came in, her ranting about how her crush had watched her make out with a senior in the school's locker room, and how her life was "practically over". She was always the dramatic one. She also mentioned how Lauren, her crush, was seated with an older lady and how, she quote, "lost the love of her life to some lanky secretary." I couldn't help but laugh at her childish attitude and the best part was I can basically hear her deep raspy voice whining as if she was once again a 3 year old who didn't get what she wanted. I imagined her freckled face scrunching up in frustration and her envious green eyes having almost a hint of pain. None the less she would be just fine within 10 minutes, and explain how she would once again win over the lady of her dreams. It's been the same continuous cycle for the past 2 years, I've become used to it.

The girl who had previously been running around like a chicken without a head was now over by the deli, she was wiping down the tables and to be honest she looked so stressed, it made me feel bad. She looks no more than 20 years old, but truth be told she was no taller than a 10-year-old. So me being the great person that I am decided to help her and we really hit if off, turns out her name's Amy and I think it fit her perfectly in some weird way. She also had an older sister just a year younger than me. It even turns out we go to the same church! Can you believe it? It's almost like us meeting was fate.

When Amy had break, which wasn't too long after I helped her clean the tables, we sat together and we told each other more about ourselves.  I was so upset to hear about her parents' passing and how Katherine (her sister) and her had to basically figure it out overnight, I couldn't imagine losing my mom like that, never mind having to pull my life together instantly just to be able to survive. I told Amy about Dani and her teenage shenanigans, as well as Nick and just how perfect I thought he was. I couldn't believe how natural our interaction was, it was quite amazing if you asked me. 

I just have this gut feeling today is going to be amazing, definitely like no other and I was already proving myself right, I can't wait to see what the rest of the day unfolds, considering I invited both Amy and Katherine over for some of my soup later tonight. Ughhhh, I can't wait, Its gonna be awesome!

-Chris L.