Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Miss Aria Longbottom," drawled out Orlando tauntingly. I could see the brains behind his beady eyes doing overtime, taking in my apparel and the lack thereof. He no doubt put two and two together and found a lot wanting.

"Hi," I said feebly.

"Fancy finding you here," he murmured, his tone sardonic.

"Where else would I be but joining my fiancé for lunch?" I muttered shortly. I saw his gaze drop to take in my attire.

"The pasta spilled over her clothes. I was just taking her back for a change, but since my next appointment is here, take my car, Aria. You can fetch me after work."

I reached out automatically to grab the keys he tossed at me.

Turning to smile up pathetically at my two bosses, I shifted my bag more comfortably on my shoulder and all but ran out his door. I sped down the blasted stairs, doing my best not to stumble over the bottom of his pants and tumble head over heels the rest of the way.

I left Justin to do his magic. Wheeling and dealing was his forte. Although I had to admit it was mine too.

I was so fired.

Despite Justin's best efforts, I sort of knew that outcome was inevitable. But as it ain't over until the fat lady sings, I still had to make the mad dash across the city and save my ass so to speak.

I drove through crazy traffic then dived into the first vacant spot I found a bloody block away from mine. Then, I hoisted my bag, grabbed my drooping waistline, and scrambled ahead at breakneck speeds for the block that housed my little unit.

A swift change and another mad dash later, and I was back behind my desk, starving and trembling as I bent my head studiously over my work. I called it a day after nightfall. Dinner demanded my attention like nothing else. I snuck out of the building successfully without triggering any alarm. The place was deserted, devoid of the rabble rousers who wanted my head on a platter for various reasons and most, importantly devoid, of the bosses themselves.

I made my way to the lonely car parked on the curb and drove to the nearest restaurant to grab an order for two. I couldn't face cooking that night, and I knew Justin was bound to be hungry too.

I tapped him a message that I would be there in ten then moved out onto the streets devoid of traffic. It was a relief to have the whole street to myself. I blasted some music and rocked to the beat, lip syncing the words so that I didn't ruin the music. This was the first time I could actually enjoy myself behind the wheels of Justin's Evoque. Then, I was pulling up along the curb beside a patiently waiting Justin. He was swift to open the door and get in.

"Drive," he instructed.

I drove.

"Take a left."

I gave him a startled look as I approached the intersection but didn't question him. I took the turn as he'd demanded. Soon, I was pulling up in a car park beneath his block. I got out of the car and followed his swift strides, making for the lift. I could see he was preoccupied, but then, I kind of was too. Only I didn't quite know what about.

He tugged loose his tie and undid his cufflinks. Pocketing the little-bejewelled trinkets, he folded his arms and leaned back against the elevator walls impatiently. I shifted on my feet, hunger pangs causing me to alternate between glancing down at the packed food and then back up at Justin. Both enticements were too irresistible to deny.

The door slid open to our floor, and I fell into step behind him, my eyes trained on his delectable ass as I followed him out. We were in his spacious apartment, elegantly furnished and filled with luxury. I made straight for the dining area and laid my goodies to rest there. Then, I went to get the plates and wine glasses.