Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I made a rapid exit from Justin' s apartment, refusing breakfast or a lift, but only after I stopped by his car first to discover the handbag I had left there. Thankfully, all my files were in it. Perhaps, my encounter with Justin Kay yesterday hadn't rendered me completely senseless after all. But then, what could I make of my willingness to put myself out there and simply become his bride?

I shrugged off my more bewildering thoughts as I accepted his kiss of dismissal and returned it with one of my own. I headed out the building and onto the street sidewalk. It wasn't as if I were stranded in the middle of nowhere. Justin's penthouse was right smack on the water front, not all that far from where I worked, but I wasn't headed to my place of work. Nope, I was headed for my home and a quick change of clothes. Not catching sight of a taxi, I headed out to the curb and soon regretted my decision for not accepting a ride with Justin. Catching a cab in morning traffic was apparently next to impossible in these parts.

I scrambled through traffic on foot and made for the train station instead. My apartment block was on the other side of town, and I really needed to get home, ground myself, shower and change, eat breakfast, and then get back to work.

I hadn't a clue what was scheduled for today. My mind seemed strangely blank in that regard. I wasn't sure, but I think all that sex with Justin must have fried some brain cells. I mean, the man was hot, so I wouldn't put it past him.

I wouldn't put anything past him.

How had it all gone so wrong?

I recalled vaguely my innocent intentions of getting him those land banks and settling a debt of sex without cause or reason, and before I knew it, I was engaged to the man. He sure took punishment for slights caused to a whole new level if one could consider my taking advantage of his willingness to bed me while soused with drink. But I couldn't have imagined having had sex with him any other way. He was too way up there, and I was just me. Still, I should be glad, drunk or not, that night had been as memorable for him as it had been for me. Still, five odd years was a long time to linger before attempting a reconciliation. And to have that reconciliation end in marriage was even harder to imagine.

But all that had come about. And all just yesterday too. I shook my head in bewilderment, certain I must have fainted through some pivotal moment. One that realigned the fates and shifted the paths of my future.

And what was I going to tell my mum?

The buzzing sound was as incessant as it was annoying. I grimaced and shuffled through my handbag, looking for my damn phone. Groaning once more in despair at the sight of the caller id, I lifted the phone to my ear and managed a weak, "Hello, Mama."

"Darling? I have just heard the news. Oh my God! I am so excited for you. You're getting married—"

Click!

I stared at the phone, appalled by my own actions. I couldn't believe I had just hung up on my own mother. How had she known anyway? And this fast too!

I grimaced again as my phone started to buzz incessantly again. I had to ignore the ringing phone. Instead, I tapped away a message on the screen, telling my mum I had to hurry and would get back to her later.

Much, much later.

My feet picked up speed, and all too soon, I was fighting my way in, onto the train. A short ride later, and I was among the throng of people marching out at my stop. I turned off toward the condo blocks nearby and made for the apartment block that had hanging gardens down its front.