Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"More sugar, my dear?"

"Huh?"

I stared up with some confusion at Mrs Lilian Kay. My mind was still reeling from the onslaught of lust that had been so rudely interrupted.

"As I was saying, my dears, I hope I didn't interrupt anything too important," said Lilian Kay, a small, knowing smile playing softly about her lips. "At, em, ... your meeting."

My meeting with Justin Kay. Hmmm... Now, that meeting had gone about most unexpectedly.

"More sugar, my dear?"

I started up in puzzlement and then realised that I still had my hand up, holding the teacup, so I lowered it to my saucer and gave her a beatific smile. At Justin, I refused to look at all.

"Mum, is this really necessary?" Justin sighed in frustration. Things hadn't been going his way either. I smothered a smile at that and received his heated stare in response. My own swift response must have been on my face for the intensity of his gaze, well, ... intensified. I gulped.

"Mum, we really need to go," he muttered, not taking his eyes off me.

Yes, ... need is the apt choice of expression, here.

I could feel myself burning up with the need for him. Surprising really, for all it took was one heated look my way to have me squirming in my seat.

It was really fortunate that Mrs Kay dropped by when she had. Her interruption couldn't have been timelier. Justin had just straightened up with me wrapped around him when the door to his office flew open with a flourish, jolting us out of our deeply consuming kisses.

It had taken some effort, but we had managed to re-channel our amorous attentions away from each other to take in the grand entry that was Mrs Kay. She had, of course, been delighted to catch Justin en flagrante. Mrs Kay was always one to enjoy the dramatics. She had appeared quite pleased to see me there. Overly so, as I would have it, leading us to our present conundrum. Tea with Mrs Kay at her place of abode, no less. Normally, I would have been delighted at an impromptu invite to tea. A visit to any residence in McMohans Point was nothing to shy away from, and the Kays had resided there for a good, many generations. Their mansion as such put many other's to shame—upgraded with due loving care by each of the generations of Kay to reside there, the mansion maintained a modern yet classic feel of old and inherited wealth.

Only in present circumstances, a Q&A session with Justin's mum was something I could do well without. And then, there was the growing state of frustration that both Justin and I would rather be without. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

I never, ever should have agreed to tea, but like the whirl of a tornado, Mrs Kay had us both bundled in Justin' s car, following hers with muted disagreeability. Neither of us had wanted to deny Mrs Kay her slightest desire. Where those same large, baby-blue eyes on Justin served to invoke such feelings of pure unadulterated heat. On Mrs Kay, it had all the vile undermining guilelessness that Mrs Kay successfully honed into polished if well-worn weapon. It never missed its mark. And it hadn't then either.

With each of us down in a silent sulk, we had done her bidding and driven after her to her mansion for tea. It had been the most excruciating drive of my life. For the sulks had quickly worn away to the rising tensions of sitting in such close proximity with the most gorgeous man in the world. My heart had been racing, and my breathing hitched, so I dragged in a much-needed breath of relief when he finally pulled up under Mrs Kay's condo. I could not live through a ride back; that was for sure. I would have to simply make my excuses after tea and slip out and disappear in the empty streets below. Catch a cab maybe. I was sure if I tried, ... tried really hard, I could get the fare reimbursed as an office expense.