Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Getting married obviously agrees with you," said Mama, beaming widely up at me. "You should have taken my advice and done it much sooner."

I restrained myself from the eye roll I felt coming on. There had been one too many provocations in that regard; what with the Longbottoms and the Kays all gathered en masse and squeezed within the four walls of this elegant boutique. I glanced sympathetically at the harried attendant who had bravely taken us all on.

"Don't be a silly, Mama," chipped in my little sister unhelpfully from the back. "Can't you see it is this incredible creation that is making her look so good? Anyone would look good in that. Engaged or not."

I sighed heavily at my reflection staring pityingly back at me. We were both in this together—my reflection and I. We had each other's backs. We would pull through it all together and be all the stronger for it.

I glanced every which way at my figure, clad in the amber gold swath of silk. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't me.

Then again, what was me?

I shifted restlessly, only wanting it all over and done with. I didn't want to admit it, but I had an undeniable urge to rush on out and back into Justin's arms. Things made sense in his embrace. This whole ruckus actually looked inviting when viewed from within his arms.

But he was not here. In fact, he was much to be blamed for my being here and suffering at all. Not only had his mother actually organized the whole dress selecting affair, but she had invited my mama and sister to join in. But the very worst of it was Justin's desertion. He had driven me here then left—simply left me in the merciless folds of the family. How evil could he be? And to think I was actually setting off to marry that, ... that. ...

"Would you like to try on the organza now?" piped in Janet unhelpfully.

Really? Organza?

I would look like a floaty, frothy bubble in organza. There was no way I was letting that fabric touch my person. Janet, as always, only looked at her skinny frame in helping me choose my clothing. I would really do better without any of them here at all. Mrs. Kay had on a matching, amber two piece and was busy staring at her profile. Janet was clearly eyeing the maroon organza for her own petite frame and Mama, ... Mama was still too busy staring balefully at me as if I had done something wrong.

I turned around to catch the assistant's eye. I nodded towards the dressing rooms. Once out of sight behind the curtain folds, I caught the hand of the poor, bewildered woman and tugged her after me to lock us both in the changing cubicle.

I turned then to look at her terrified face. I grimaced what I hoped was a passably comforting smile at her before saying, "Look, you have my measurements now. You know what I look like. And you most certainly know the difficult family I have to please. This is your field of expertise, so tell me what I should wear. No, show me what you think I should wear. I will try it on here, and we'll close the deal." I moved then to unlock the door, urging a swift departure and telling her to be quick about it.

I regretted not asking her to unzip me first before sending her off. Spending much of my waiting time shrugging out of the dress, I was glancing balefully at my ungainly figure when the assistant popped back in, carrying an elaborate creation. It was long, pale, and mustard green, surely the color of the swamp. But the fabric was exquisite; it featured intricate lace and bead works and was form fitting, too. I shuffled awkwardly into its silky depths, with some assistance of course, and was surprisingly pleased with the end result.

It was nothing short of me.

"I'll take it!" I beamed a happy smile at the attendant then allowed her to help me shrug out of it.