And then-”

Ring. Ring.

Mariah gasped, looking at her daughter in surprise--her face slightly tinged with worry.

Ring. Ring.

“Who is that, baby?”

Elizabeth turned her head to the side, gripping the edge of the bed.

Ring. Ring.

Mariah sighed, a frown settling on her face. She quickly grew anxious about answering the phone--but she knew that if she did, there was a chance it could be Michael on the other end.

She clicked the talk button and covered her mouth, her hands shaking.

“Mariah!” Whitney shouted. “What took you so long to answer the doggone phone?”

She shut her eyes in relief, wiping her forehead.

“I didn’t know it was you.”

“Girl, you need you one of them new phones with caller ID... But anyway, I gotta talk to you.”

Mariah pressed the phone between her ear and shoulder. “What's going on?”

“Girl, let me tell you.”

Mariah nodded along while she finished changing Elizabeth's diaper.

“So this nut Bobby had the nerve to come to my house acting like he ain't have no sense! Girl, I'm telling you he on that shit.”

But… Nope nevermind.

“Hollering and screaming at me like he out his damn mind! Waking up my baby. I'm about this close to putting his ass out.”

“Mhm.”

Whitney sighed. “Are you listening to me?”

“Yes, I'm listening. I don't know what to say Whit, unless you wanna stab him in his sleep or something.” Mariah huffed, rubbing her eyes.

“What?”

“I'm saying-”

“No I heard what you said.” Whitney interrupted. “I’m just tryna figure out why you tryna get me locked up.”

“Look, I don't know okay? I'm just throwing out an option.” Mariah explained.

“Girl you sound like a crazy person. Talking about murder, I don't know about you, but I know Jesus.”

Mariah rubbed her temple. “You know what- Girl you called me. I’m just telling you what I’d do in that situation. If you don’t like what a man is doing to you, you need to figure out something!”

“I ain't gonna go to jail for Bobby ass. He ain't worth it!”

Lies.

“Girl, quit. Yes you would.” Mariah retorted.

“Not for killing his ass. I ain't you.”

“Look, Mike know better than to try me okay. He know I'm not the one.” Mariah commented.

“But you ain't say shit to Tommy though. This mothafucka still walking and breathing. Did he know not to try you too sis?”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “I thought about killing his ass too. Don't play.”

“But you didn't do it is my point.”

I wish I did.

Mariah clenched her jaw. “Look, this ain't about me. This about you and Bobby, you asked for some advice so-”