Chapter 4: Runaway

Start from the beginning

I looked outside before I left, slinging my backpack over my shoulders. Mom and Dad weren't back but the security cameras would definitely see me leave and which direction I went in.

As I was contemplating, I swore as I saw the limo pull up to the front gate with a screech.

I ran back up to my room and opened the window. Climbing outside and onto the roof, I closed it behind me soundlessly. Throwing my hood up and tucking my ponytail inside, I looked around in the dark.

The back of our house was less than a foot from the concrete wall we had as a fence and my windows ledge was out of sight from the downturned cameras that focused on the walkways.

I walked to the edge of the roof quickly and hopped off it, dropping onto the flat surface of our concrete wall.

Bending down, I grabbed the edge and dangled myself over the other side, my fingers burning from the rough stone that bit into my skin. I held my breath as I let go, falling about two and a half feet.

My ankles burned as I landed but I righted myself wobbly and started to run. They'd figure out I was gone soon enough.

I ran out into the neighborhood that was near our estate and hailed a cab from a dark street corner.

"Where to miss?" The driver asked, not even looking back at me.

I thought of a picture in my bag and quickly sputtered, "Uh, liberty island marina."

He nodded and started for the marina. I looked out the window and noticed my heart was still thundering. I was afraid.

But I also felt something so much more powerful- relief.

I was finally out of that house and I had no intention of coming back at the moment. Not if they were going to try to make me marry that jackass of a man.

I wiped the tears off my face and sat back with a sigh. I could do this. It felt good be leaving.

It took us a while to get to the marina. I paid the man with the money left in my purse and I stepped out of the cab. It was dark now, and the city lights were alive.

I walked down the length of docks and saw a cluster of people about. They stepped off a ferry and I looked at the closing time for the Statue of Liberty.

I had an hour. I quickly got a ticket for the last ferry ride for the night. It was only me and two other people there. They seemed to be on a date. I ignored their cooing and lovey eyes.

I looked out over the water as the ferry shoved off. The statue was so grand and beautiful. We finally got to the island and I went right for the entrance, leaving the couple to giggle and kiss.

I took the elevator all the way up to liberty's crown. I sat on a bench by a large crown window, staring at the bay and city. Despite that I have lived in New York my whole life, I've never been to this national statue.

We are no tourists, Evangeline, mother would say to me coldly.

I had to figure out where I was going soon. The police would surely be looking and I had to get out of the state before my face was noticed.

I sat my bag in front of me and grabbed my journal and pictures. I couldn't go to all these places. Or leave the country. Not with just $15,000 on me. I knew traveling was expensive enough.

I lined up my favorite pictures. The picture of the ocean at Myrtle Beach.

The Grand Canyon.

The Bean in Chicago.