Chapter 2: Damien

Start from the beginning

I looked out the window as we drove through the city.

"Evangeline, there's someone I'd like you to meet tonight," father said and I looked at him.

"Who?" Another rich kid my age with a money complex?

"His name is Damian Tressent. His father and I just closed a deal together. He's around your age and I'd like you to get to be very nice friends with him," he said with a smile, straightening his tie and looking over his tux.

My brows furrowed, "Why?"

He looked at me exasperatedly, "Because I asked you to. He could be a nice asset."

I turned away from him and continued to look out the window.

"I heard Damian is quite handsome," my mother chirped and I tried not to make a face. They were trying to hook me up with some guy I didn't know.

She shoved her phone in front of my face and showed me a picture on Facebook. He was... cute? Charming, I suppose.

He mirrored his father by his side with styled brown hair and blue eyes. But I saw the similarities. He had the same hungry look in his eye that his father did. I didn't like that.

I nodded in vague agreement and she twittered away about him and his accomplishments. He was the CEO of many of his fathers companies apparently.

"And he's so well off Evangeline," mother beamed, giggling to herself.

Translation: He's so stinking rich Eva, how wonderful is that?

"Mmhmm," I hummed disinterestedly.

The limo finally stopped in front of a grand art building and my father waited for the driver to open our door.

"So be presentable for Damian, and remember your manners," my father instructed before climbing out of the car.

"Okay," I said quietly, following him out.

"Thank you," I said to the driver with a smile and he smiled back, nodding at me.

My mother latched onto my fathers arm and I trailed behind them as they walked up the marble stairs.

Press held back by security and velvet ropes clicked their cameras excitedly, eager to get a list of the guests who had shown up.

I ignored all of them as I followed my parents. Workers opened the doors for us and let us inside. Many people in elegant outfits meandered around. New art pieces were set up to show off the new artists of the year.

Some were pretty exquisite.

My parents went around the crowd of people, saying hello to the ones they knew and introducing themselves to the ones they didn't. I trailed them like a dog on a leash, smiling when I had to and talking when spoken to.

They soon found their group that all fit into their inner circle and stood with them, laughing and drinking expensive wine and champagne.

I stealthily grabbed a small snack off a plate a waiter carried and shoved it in my mouth before mother saw. I didn't want to wait until dinner to eat.